Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently trying to remove that government mandated gimmick known as the EGR in my '75 Ascona. Does anyone know if the fitting coming out of the headpipe is threaded and if so what size thread? I would like to plug it. Another option is to cut the tubing and plug it at the tubing. That way I have easy access to the exhaust if I wanted to analyze whether I was running to rich or not. Any ideas?

Joe

·
583 Posts
EGR Fitting

Joe,

The EGR fitting is threaded, but I do not know the size. I have the feed cut and capped. Either way would work. Exercise caution removing the valve the housing is cast aluminum and is brittle.

Good luck.

·
88 Posts
Standard thread on both

I removed mine from both the intake and exhaust. The exhaust has a threaded nipple and I capped it with a standard NPT plumbing cap. The intake manifold had a threaded hole that I plugged with a standard NPT threaded plug. I believe that both were 1/2 inch NPT.

Be certain to use a good heat tolerant thread sealer for the exhaust cap (permatex makes a 1400 degree heat tolerant thread sealer). The intake plug should also have a good thread sealer but heat isnt as mush of an issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts