Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hunting down a 75 distributor but as of yet I still don't have one. I was looking at what I do have and one is not something I've ever seen. It has 2 of the oval openings in it and they are one highr than the other and not positioned the same as say a stock 72 would have. It also has 2 plugs in the bottom of it that none of the others do. The plugs have a triangle spot like a screw driver or something odd fits them. I can in comparison see a change in the advance curve in it. Any ideas what this is?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the left one is the odd one and on the right is an older style. They both are marked JFU4.

Attachments

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
they both do look like opel dist.i no that the bitter 3.9l v6 uses a distributer thats in close relation to our gts distributer since the distributer gaskets are the same and a few other similarities, will look at a bitter distributer today if i get a chance.

·
Super Moderator
5,947 Posts
I am not certain of this, but I believe early Opel CIH distributors had separate vacuum advance and retard bellows, so this might be one of those. One opening per bellows

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Early CIH Dual Canister Distributor

kwilford said:
I am not certain of this, but I believe early Opel CIH distributors had separate vacuum advance and retard bellows, so this might be one of those. One opening per bellows
Correct, Keith, just like the stock one in my '69 Kadett LS.

Dave, the canister advance/retard actuating links are both linked to the same breaker plate pivot point, stacked one above the other, necessitating the slightly different height canister mounting holes in the side of the distributor.

·
Administrator
10,238 Posts
pvcar said:
they both do look like opel dist.i no that the bitter 3.9l v6 uses a distributer thats in close relation to our gts distributer since the distributer gaskets are the same and a few other similarities, will look at a bitter distributer today if i get a chance.
The 3.0 CIH 6 cylinder in my Senator (same as the 3.0 Bitter) uses the same timing cover set up as the 1.9's so the outside of the distributors are the same.

·
Administrator
10,238 Posts
nobody said:
the left one is the odd one and on the right is an older style. They both are marked JFU4.
It does look like the early "2 can" distributor. I have a couple of them that are all apart at home. I'll check later.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok after looking at Otto's pic I remember now. I guess I wasn't expecting a 69 to look that good. It does explain why the advance cams have a steeper slope than a known 72. Ok wishful thinking I guess and later I'll get back on the phone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts