Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 75 manta so I had a car to put this in.

But I planned to get the car running and drive it as is while I fuel injected my olds, but the cam went flat in the 1.9 so now plans have changed. I don't want to put anymore money into the 1.9 since I plan on pulling it anyways, so I decided to move the v8 swap up the list so I'll have a car to drive while I convert the olds to efi. I'm not putting the engine shown in right away, needs work, but I have another 215 I'll put together for it. Anyway here's a pic of the manta and the olds, I'll keep you guys updated on the swap

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The engine I'll initially swap in I pulled out of a 62 f85 2bbl 3 on the tree car. I have a cam, performer intake and heads to bump the compression up, should be right around 200hp. Idk what tranny I'll run yet, I have a t50 but I want to put a rebuild kit in it and I can't find one.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,477 Posts
Have you been in touch with D and D? I believe they are the BOP experts up north somewhere.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,477 Posts
I knew a girl back in 88 that had a 67 F85 Cutlass. Two door hardtop, v8 satin black, basic black interior and aluminum slot mags. A nice simple, sinister looking car. I think she sold it when one of the rear axles came loose.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pulled the Top end off the 215 and put a cam in it, after I get gaskets I'll put the other heads on and start putting it back together.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to pull my axles and diff, do opens use c clips like a Chevy rear end or bolt in axles?

·
Über Genius
9,104 Posts
I want to pull my axles and diff, do opens use c clips like a Chevy rear end or bolt in axles?
I assume you mean Opels, and not "opens".

Early 69-70 have C-clip axles. Newer do not.

The way to tell is the bolt pattern on the bearing retainer. One is rectangle. The other is not. (I think the older ones are the rectangle pattern)

Either someone will chime in or the information is available on this site somewhere. Worst case, if you can't find the information for sure, call Gil at Opel GT Source.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mines a 75, I prefer bolt ins so hopefully they are

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
You can't remove the chunk unless your using a Ford diff or something similar.
Aka toyo..so on and so fort

Remove the inspection cover ..remove the cross bolt..what do you see?

Pictures is needed...

·
Super Moderator
13,630 Posts
All the Manta's are bolted in at the bearing flange....no C-clips at all. Undo your brakes, undo the 4 bolts, remove the axle. Done.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can't remove the chunk unless your using a Ford diff or something similar.
Aka toyo..so on and so fort

Remove the inspection cover ..remove the cross bolt..what do you see?

Pictures is needed...
A diff is a diff, whether it has a drop out third member or inspection cover is the difference you mean.

On stuburm ones
Flip the brake drum around..it acts as a great bgr. puller.

BTW this unit can only do idle and WOT.

I know that's the way the work originally, that won't be the way it works when I'm done with it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I haven't committed to anything yet, still researching and planning stages. I've researched the spica set up that fiat used as well as Rochester and Bosch mechanical fuel injections

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Has anyone on here done a corvair hub swap for 5x4.75 bolt pattern? I found a thread where a guy did it on his chevette and I've been reading Opel, chevettes and fiero(pre 88) hubs interchange so it stands to reason if it worked on a chevette it should work for us

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i pulled the 1,9 and tranny out yesterday. still putting the 215 together, will probably be a couple weeks before im ready to try dropping it in. working on a 5 lug swap currently as well.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the five lug hubs in the machine shop, new bearings and races on there way. Hopefully the hubs will be on this weekend then I can figure out calipers/ brackets and rotors. I pulled the rear axle shafts today and will start on those when I decide exactly how I'll convert it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Worked on the engine a little more this weekend. Bolted the heads on, new timing set and a few new gaskets. Also picked up some wheels to use after the five lug swap

1 - 20 of 123 Posts