Opel GT Forum banner

41 - 60 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Manifolds definitely won't work but I was playing around with the headers today and I think they might actually work

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
This project isn't dead, just slowed down a lot! But motor mounts and tranny mounts are done. Also finally bought front tires and mounted front air bags(springs).

·
Registered
35 Posts
The progress looks great. It seems that you are well equipped to handle the challenges of the exhaust layout.

The air ride setup appears to be in a usable range, so you have that going well in your favor.

You re-drilled the rear axle flanges and drums, correct?

Maybe I missed a post in the thread, but how did you handle the 4 lug to 5 lug conversion on the front end?

Steve.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yes, simply did a redrill on the rear, front has the old drum brake hubs off my 66 olds with minor machine work and new bearing sets. New front brakes will be off a Pontiac grand am.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Here's a comparison of the new brakes vs old brakes

I have all the parts for the new front brakes, I just have to make a simple bracket to bolt the calipers to the spindle.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Finally got some flares, they are a bolt on type but I decided to try to "mold" them into the body.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
5 weeks until Speedweek!

Hi Steve, rummaging through some files today and found this one of the 919 streamliner I designed the body for. You mentioned that it looked pretty "skinny" in a PM, but she is also "short"! Second pic is me as painted by one of our competitors from France. This is there 10th year over here and I have been their "chief inspector" since day 1 when I mentioned to the "real" chief inspector that I spoke French "un peu" (a little). They have become good friends over the years and my wife and I visited France in 2015 and they showed us around Paris (one group) and then the southern region near the Pyrenees. It turns out that Serge is actually Dr. Campistron with his degree from the Sorbonne and teaches Art! He and his family stayed with us after the 2015 Speedweek was cancelled.

Looking forward to meeting you "on the salt". -- Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Project isn’t dead, just been slow. Engine is in and running, still working on exhaust and other smalll details.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
One of my goals for the Manta is to make it as light as I can do I started stripping the interior. Finally cut out my carbon fiber floor panels that I’ll mount to the floor so I have a nice flat area to mount the momo racing seats and to give a flat foot area. Also almost finished my drivers header but ran out of material.

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Progress still really slow, started work on my second set of headers as first ones didn’t work out. Been trying to work on other things to keep optimism up. Made a new gauge panel the other day, sorry for crappy pics. Looking for ideas to get the black tar/insulation stuff off the floor.

Attachments

Reactions: Gordy and John B

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Progress still really slow, started work on my second set of headers as first ones didn’t work out. Been trying to work on other things to keep optimism up. Made a new gauge panel the other day, sorry for crappy pics. Looking for ideas to get the black tar/insulation stuff off the floor.
Regarding information on the tar stuff on the floor, a lot of people have used heat guns, scrapers, and lots of elbow grease and swearing to get it off.

Although I have not tried it I had the idea of dumping dry ice on the floor to freeze the material and then hitting it with a hammer to break it up. That's my first plan when the time comes. Remember that dry ice is frozen C02 so be sure to breathe lots of good air outside the car during this process.

·
Super Moderator
13,695 Posts
I've always used a heat gun and a sharp scraper tool I built for the job from stainless steel. Gasket scrapers work fine, i just hated bashing my knuckles so I built something with a longer handle.

The key is too not heat up the tar too much, or it will melt. Just enough to soften the adhesion to the metal is all.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I’ve heard about the dry ice thing, might try it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Gauge panel is almost done, is the steering column offset to the passenger side a bit on these cars? The cut out from the column is offset compared to my center gauge and I’m pretty sure I got the gauge close to center.

Attachments

·
Opeler
844 Posts
It's a bit odd, but the Manta steering column is not even parallel to the car's centerline, and the steering wheel is not perpendicular as a result. For some reason, you don't notice it's crooked when you're driving unless you know about it.

·
Administrator
10,114 Posts
It's a bit odd, but the Manta steering column is not even parallel to the car's centerline, and the steering wheel is not perpendicular as a result. For some reason, you don't notice it's crooked when you're driving unless you know about it.
I noticed that when I was building my 24v Ascona wagon and I set the seat brackets at a slight angle.

·
Super Moderator
13,695 Posts
I extended the steering column in a racing Manta once, and the steering wheel ended up almost hitting the driver's door panel. I had to add another universal joint to straighten the column out. Lol...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
So it’s off center and at an angle, cool.

·
Tazdbs 71 Opel GT
186 Posts
tar removal

I had to remove the tar based headliner insulation on my 55 Bel Air and used the oscillating tool from Harbor Freight (other companies make them too) with the scraper blade and it peeled that stuff off easy as pie. I used acetone to clean up the little bit of tar that was left. Good luck.

BTW your protobucket pics don't show up when I try to see them.

41 - 60 of 128 Posts