Opel GT Forum banner

81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
The project is still alive. I was not able to work on it for about 7 month but am now in a new place with a garage. I have pulled the motor out to do a rear main seal and a few other things, while it is out I have been working on the engine bay and front suspension. I cut out the old rusty battery tray area and replaced it with fresh metal but I boxed it in so there is a consistent shelf across the fire wall( battery is in the trunk). I also removed the heater and welded that hole shut.

Reactions: soybean

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #82

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I was able to get some assembly done after finishing the welding for the shock relocation. Sorry for the sideways pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Engine is ready to go back in.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I haven't been online since you started this thread, so I need to start from the beginning to this last post. From what I have seen, you have put some good work into this car. The only thing, I might question, which Rallye Bob might chime in on, is the header wrapping. I did the very same thing to my 78 Chevy 454 Dually, built to pull a 15,000 lbs Grain trailer. The Wrap does cut down on the heat in the engine bay, but when driven through water, will soak it (water) up, resulting in the headers rotting prematurely due to the wrapping. Others who have done this might have had better results than I did, but this is just what happened to me. Sincerely, Jarrell

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
The pictures look awesome, you will have a beast when you get done. What kind of shock are you planning on useing to keep the weight off the front end? I still need to start at the beginning and read your whole thread. Thanks, Jarrell

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
It has bilstein shock all around.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Car is running and together enough to do a short ride. Still need to do little things here and there to square it up.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
The car has had a couple of short drives now. Still not a hop in and drive car but getting there.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #91

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
My rear end blew up after about 25miles with the new engine. Looking to put a stock axle back in so I can drive the rest of the summer then do a swap to a stronger rear this winter.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I was able to pick up a rear diff from mercugary Sunday, put the parts in my car Monday and now I have a driver again.

Reactions: Mercougary

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Dropped a valve about a month ago, I have a 63 cutlass sitting in the driveway with a running donor engine. Need time to do the swap. Doing rear suspension work currently as well.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Finally back to work on the manta. Rear suspension received new poly bushings (what are our sway bar options?), torque tube crossmember has aluminum bushings from bob. Rear diff has been welded into a full spool and pinion extension is getting sleeved.

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I ordered fiberglass fenders as well as a te2800 hood from Lenk. I asked to get the side vents filled on the hood.

Attachments

81 - 100 of 122 Posts