Opel GT Forum banner
121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Oh yeah, the new fiberglass is not fit... idk when I’ll be able to drive it. Ugh

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Finished mounting the seats today, did a bit more tuning and drove to the gas station.

Reactions: Commodåren

·
Super Moderator
13,991 Posts
Reactions: Commodåren

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
They are eBay specials Bob, $300 for the pair. Actually decent quality build and Aphusltery.

Reactions: RallyBob

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
I tried wiring my wipers, I can get high and low( white, yellow wires) I connected purple to power( I don’t have green like GT) and no park, blue wire had the same results( no change in operation + or -). Any ideas? I can’t remember if they ever worked properly

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
I am looking for front sway bar bushings, gtsource is out of them (control arm end). I almost ripped my fiberglass fender off while backing up and turning. Willing to do a race oriented mod as well( if there is a go to) if it means keeping my tire from shredding my fender.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
I could not find any new bushings, I am just now finishing modifying my sway bar and lower control arms to use a spherical bearing instead. Hoping to have it back together today. I will get pictures of the new set up today, for now here are some powder coated factory springs and sway bar.

Reactions: Mercougary

·
Registered
583 Posts
My Opel day is shot to hell. Some tweakers hacked the catalytic converter out of my daughters Explorer. Looks like I'll be fitting and welding instead. Rechargeable battery for my Miller helmet won't take a charge and needs replacement. Aargh!!

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
Interesting harness support tube. Looks like it actually might work pretty well as an anchoring system. Now you just needs a HANS device, or throw the car sideways before getting into a head-on. (Semi-serious comment here... with a reason.)

·
Registered
583 Posts
I don't think he wears a helmet. He'll have to strap the HANS device to his noggin'. He won't like the five point anti-submarine belt much either.:LOL:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
I will likely take the bar out and only use the lap belts while driving. Harness bar and remaining belts will be used for autocross etc.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
OK, and not busting on you at all. I'll just put this out for info and FWIW....I've been a NASA Rallysport tech insepctor for almsot 20 years and have seen and learned all the progression of use for HANS and shoulder harnesses. Each step of change brings it own problems.

The old Euro rally standard for shoulder harnesses was to make them long and attach back at the package shelf area, so they would have some give and shock absorber effect in a forward crash. The problem there is that the spine could get a crushing force when the upper body moves away from the seat, plus the unkonwn of where the upper body and head end up in a forward crash that is off-angle. So the standard for shoulder harnesses changed to short, on a bar behind the seats like you have.

But then the motion all goes into the neck area and the problem of basal skull fracture (like killed Dale Earnhart) gets worse. So the final solution there is to require the HANS device to control that deadly problem. (Modern cars use airbags to limit forward head and upper body movement in a forward crash BTW.)

The force on the head and neck was made worse by the advent of more advanced helmets. The weight has been going up and up for decades. My last Snell helmet weighs roughly double that of my early 80's Snell helmet! So you fix/improve one thing and it contributes to another problem.

So just be aware of the tight shoulder harness on the street. The one good thing is that you would not be wearing a heavy helmet on the street, so hopefully it is not a real problem anyway. And your auto-x courses ought to be such as to make the chance of any impact almost zero.

The only guys I really push back on are those who run a cage on the street without putting soft padding where there heads can contact the tubes in any sort of wreck, even a fender-bender. It takes a lot less of a hit than they realize, or are willing to admit, to crack a skull.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Thanks for the info, I’ll admit idk the tech behind a lot of safety devices. Like I said lap belts for regular driving and harness for track days, and I really only put it in so I had something the hold me in the seat, I was not thinking about safety.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
That's nice! Is there some rubber being used to hold the outer bearing shells in the LCA holes? Some give is needed in the LCA system as the anti-sway bar goes up and down.

Thanks for the info, I’ll admit idk the tech behind a lot of safety devices. Like I said lap belts for regular driving and harness for track days, and I really only put it in so I had something the hold me in the seat, I was not thinking about safety.
I just threw that out there for info and interest. Hope it is useful.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
I just went through this thread from the beginning. I forgot that I had teased about the hilborn “itb” injection, I purchased a Bosch k jet 8 cylinder fuel distributor and plan to run it as an “alpha-n” set up in place of an air box like the standard k jet uses. I want to enjoy the car for a while so it’ll stay carbed for now( dells are almost ready). I still need to figure out a drive mandrel to run a cable driven mechanical fuel pump.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 · (Edited)
I’m looking for some white interior btw, kick panels, door panels and rear panels( idk what these ones are called but under the quarter window and on both sides of the back seat) as well as a package tray if it’s real nice otherwise I’ll just make one.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
I have been doing body work lately, I am not a body man so I’m kind of dragging it out. Haven’t really been taking pictures. I did purchase some vintage h4 headlight housings and I stole a few parts off that blue luxus. Slow progress but I am working on it. I do need to fire it up and make sure she’s still running well, it’s been a bit.

121 - 140 of 142 Posts