Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm from the US but currently live in Slovenia. I recently bought a 78 Kadett and I'm having fun tinkering with it. I plan to bring it back to the US next summer and then I can do more complex mods to the car. For now, I'd like to give the 1.2 a break on the highway by swapping out the 4.11 gears for something more rpm friendly. The 4spd trans has a low 1st and 2nd so I don't think I'll have any problem with a higher (numerically lower) rearend. I now rarely use 1st gear because it is so low. Does anyone know if the rear gears from a US Chevette are a direct swap for the Kadett diff housing? I know the two cars are basically the same car but not sure if the rear gears are interchangeable. Many US Chevettes came with a 3.36 rear gear which would be ideal-assuming it is a bolt-in. Anybody know the answer or where I can find the answer?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,245 Posts
I don't know if the diff is the same as US spec'd cars, but, there's also 3:18, 3:44, 3:67 gears on US cars
Gene, 1.2 litre cars have a smaller rear diff, just like the 1.1 powered cars here in the US have (compared to the 1.9).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ring and pinion

I think the Chevette ring gear is 6.5". I'm hoping to swap out the gears and carrier if possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts