Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to drive this car for a while to see how it treats me. I wanted to know if there is anything particular to this car that I should look out for maintenance wise. I know that the car is based on a senator. Does it share the same motor? I'm guessing I could study the senator and get more info since this car is more rare. Or does it use an entirely different motor?

·
Viking
862 Posts
Hi

Check this site: www.bittercars.com, should answer a few or your questions.

Hallgeir

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Which Motor

First - is the motor a V8 or an L-6 ?
If the V8 then it is - or was! - a 327 CID Chevrolet V8
If an L-6 it is an Opel Cam-In-Head six-cylinder motor either 3.0 litres or 3.9 litres. The 3.0 is a Senator motor and just like our four-cylinder motors with two extra cylinders tacked on - some of the parts even interchange! The 3.9 is a 3.0 Opel Senator motor with a longer stroke crankshaft fitted and a few other modifications.

The Opel six is an extremely tough motor and because it has electronic ignition and Bosch fuel injection will go almost for ever - as long as it has water, oil, clean air and gasoline! About the only things that need replacing are air filters, spark plugs & Wires. The motor is widely used from the 1970's right through to 1994 in Opel Monzas, Omegas, Senators and Carltons plus the Vauxhall equivalents - so there are quite a few about ... in Europe!

HTH

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, thats exactly the info I needed. I feel a little more comfortable about keeping the car. It does look pretty cool in a 80's kinda way :)

·
1,530 Posts
No, will it fit yes if you have the talent and $. HTH

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,426 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts