Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A/C for Opel GT

Dose anyone know what the GM model number is for the factory original A/C compressor. It should be visable on the compressor if you have one installed in a car. I know of an A/C specialty shop that can probably get me a new one if I get him the GM number.

·
Registered
44 Posts
mine has a code # of 071312 and underneath that, it has model # 1131005. hope that helps. i think any A6 should bolt up in place.
AND I dound that a Kelly Springfield belt num 15540 worked best for it. no1 on here could help me on that one...grrr.

·
247 Posts
John, are you going for all original? If not their are many better choices you could use. I have only seen 2 types of dealer installed ac compressors used on the opels. It is my understanding that all opels sold in the US had ac systems installed at the dealer, no factory installed systems. Anyway the compressors were a GM A-6, long cyl shape and the York or one of its copys, a square looking comp. Both of these units will cool very well, but they are "PIGS" the A-6 is very heavy leak prone and can take over 20 hp to run it! The york is just very leak prone, front shaft seals. They do not recomend using this comp. on 134a systems for this reason. I cant give you a specific comp number but I have seen info from what others have done. Newer compressors are smaller last longer are more efficent and can cool even better. They also can work with 134a rather than r-12.
Hope this was helpful.

DAN

·
247 Posts
Michael, those psi numbers you posted came off the sticker on the compressor? If so they are the test pressures used on the comp. and not the actual working pressures. On AVERAGE, depending on ambient temp and humidity, low side pressures 30psi or lower and high side about 100psi over ambient temps.

DAN

·
Opeler
2 Posts
a/c compressor GM

Hi everyone, my first post since joining. I have a 73 southern GT with dealer installed a/c. It has the GM Frigidaire A6 style compressor. The part # on the tag is also 1131005 as in a previous post. I am still trying to find a direct interchange for it that would use the same hose hook up and maybe just requires some home made brackets. Something smaller would be great. I have some mid 80's VW's with the Sanden R12 compressor so I am going to look at those and see if they would retrofit easily. It actually worked and cooled well when I parked the car 12 years ago to begin the restoration. Needless to say, it's take a bit longer than planned.

·
Opeler
192 Posts
A/C compressor

If you find a new style of compressor that works, I would love to know. I am thinking of getting my A/c system working again. The vacuum switch apparently leaked and many parts were disconnected. Having the factory air is curious on a 72 GT, but if it was functional, all the better.
Gerry

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Most of you know the fun I had getting an AC pump for Willit? that would work on the confined spaces for the V-6. The original GM Frigidaire pump wouldn't work, so I got a Delphi, part # 1136609 from a GM van that had possibilities, it is shorter, but it needs a table top mounting platform and, great for my engine, a serpentine pulley, and it does have the same hose hook-ups as the Frigidaire. I finally ended up with a Sanden SD7B10 unit from Vintage air. A lot shorter thant the Delphi, radial mounting lugs, but a different hose hook-up. Both the Sanden and Delphi need 134 referigerant, BTW. Here's a couple of pics of the Delphi unit and Frigidaire to show the hose hook-ups, and there are a few pics in my Willit? update thread of the Sanden unit. Figured I'd mention that you can get the Sanden pumps with single groove pulleys too. HTH.

Gerry, the vacuum switch was there to shut down the AC pump under full throttle applications, I do believe. It can be bypassed to make your system functional again, just have to be careful with the throttle when it's on.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm considering buying a original a/c compressor from a dealer installed system from the early 70's. Turns freely. Comes with the secondary pulley and bracket assembly. Weighs 30 lbs.Numbers on the unit is G-5 1-5516. Is this a good purchase to consider for $40 bucks!!

·
Opel Addicts
2,476 Posts
Keeping in mind that the "Frodgidaire" unit is the same one that GM used on everything from Vegas to Cadillacs, if there is a conversion kit for a Sanden compressor, I would use that! As a matter of fact, I have two (2) of the big old GM units that I would gladly sell to anyone who wants them for $35 a piece. I really think that unless you are going for a 100% stock restoration, the Sanden is the way to go.

Allen :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.