Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70 GT with the GM A/c System. The previous owner tryed removing the Battery through the top of the car. In the process he destroyed the Condenser. I was wondering if this condenser is still avaliable or if any other GM vehicles used this same condenser?? If not am I looking at fabricating hoses to install a different type of condenser. This is the second condenser I have seen this happen too on the GT. Has anyone else seen these condensers destroyed.
Thanks for any help!!
Eric :)

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I can't believe someone did that. Didn't they understand the panel hole in belly pan was put there just for the purpose of removing the battery. Truly a case of being ignorant and then getting really PO'd to destroy a condensor. I can't answer your question about a replacement condensor, although there are airconditioning shops that may be able to get a suitable replacement. If you do need new hoses, let the AC shop build them, there's a lot of pressure in that system and special hose clamps and fittings are needed.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
namba209 said:
Didn't they understand the panel hole in belly pan was put there just for the purpose of removing the battery. Truly a case of being ignorant .
Fortunatly my battery will easily come out of the top in the space between the radiator and the front opening. But being ignorant, I don't think I ever noticed a panel for removal. Exactly where is this panel located? :cool:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Well Tom, I guess it's open foot, insert mouth, for me. If you don't see the panel, it probably wasn't put in your GT with the AC system. It's gotta be a large panel for the battery to go down through. Here's a pic of mine, I had the body shop put a frame around the hole so I can, later on, get another skin put on. They did a rough install of a hinged panel, the original left the car some years ago when the sheetmetal screws that held the panel in place fell out. You, ignorant? No, just me, for not realizing you may not have had the panel. HTH.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
The bodies were only done that way with factory air. For aftermarket they usually didn't do it but just added the goodies to make it function.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Fun??

It must be immense fun getting a battery in and out through that hole - best argument I have ever seen for putting a sealed battery inside the car ....
Imagine the battery terminals contacting the bodywork while lifting the battery through that hole. :eek:

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Eric as for a replacement condensor that might be a tall order. Summer time and alot of Opelers are thinking put it in not take it out. On the other hand if you could post a pic or dimensions I could probably cough one up. :D

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Jim, that's the main reason to have a strap or carrier, to get it down through the hole without shorting the posts, also because the battery is usually taller than the belly pan, it has to be jacked up to get it out from under the car.

Dave, here's a couple of pics, front and rear of my condensor with tape measure alongside. It measures roughly 17" X 17". HTH.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Factory A/C?

nobody said:
The bodies were only done that way with factory air. For aftermarket they usually didn't do it but just added the goodies to make it function.
Little terminology confusion here, think Dave meant GM air (factory) and ARA air (aftermarket), as those were the only two systems available and neither was ever installed at the factory. All were dealer installed and, to the best of my knowledge, only offered as an option in the US . . . none of the foreign Opel brochures I've seen even listed A/C, at least not for models available here.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Yes Otto your right, what I meant to say was that depending on the dealer it was or wasn't done. I've seen 3 AC GTs in the last month and none were done that way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reason to have a panel in the belly pan with A/C.

Here are some pics of my condenser. As you can see is in terrible condition. I also believe the big hole in the condenser might be from shorting the battery post to it. After all this trouble I moved the battery to a new location. Please let me know if you find a condenser.
Thanks
Eric

Attachments

·
Opeler
2 Posts
ac condenser

Hi yall- its been a while since i have been on here, but,... I have same dilemma- trashed ac condenser from batt removal. I have discovered that the recvr drier is a shared part on many GM vehicles. The condenser on the other hand, has no part # in the OPel/GM parts book! assuming that they cobbed the condenser from a Vega or some other GM product?? I read that a Honda Civic condenser will fit but the fittings would be wrong.. as far as te "battery access port" goes, mine has it too, but I would have to say that someone at Billy-Bob's GM dealer cut it in there when th car was new.. I have also noted that the metal support bracket for the brake rod/booster has to be butchered to allow the Torpedo sized compressor to clear. My condenser is still holding pressure so I think I may be stuck with straightening 588 individual fins out so the air can pass thru...

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
GT Evaporator is GM part #3024972, GT Receiver Dehydrator is #3015061, and the Condensor for the Manta was #3024759.

So the off-book GT Condensor may share the #3024--- prefix/part number. A GM part supercession book likely would list it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Check with Vintage Air, I run a completly different setup then stock, but I still think the small Vintage air condenser should work on a stock Opel

·
Registered
164 Posts
Picture of factory air conditioning in a GT engine compartment???

Just wondering if someone has a picture of an engine compartment in a GT with factory air conditioning? I am looking at a GT that was said to have come out with air conditioning, but not sure if this is a home made job or real since I have never seen factory air in a GT. I will try to post pictures of the GT that I'm looking at that has been sitting for over 5 years. Would like to see a picture of factory air installed. I know that the console in this car is not AC accurate, but it does have other parts.

Attachments

·
Opel Key Master
5,200 Posts
Just wondering if someone has a picture of an engine compartment in a GT with factory air conditioning? I am looking at a GT that was said to have come out with air conditioning, but not sure if this is a home made job or real since I have never seen factory air in a GT. I will try to post pictures of the GT that I'm looking at that has been sitting for over 5 years. Would like to see a picture of factory air installed. I know that the console in this car is not AC accurate, but it does have other parts.
Gabe, those are the remains of a GM dealer installed unit. I like the engine bay setup better on the GM compared to the ARA but the console is really bad on the GM units. On my website there is a black 1979 GT we put the GM A/C in that maybe will have good enough pictures for you

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks Keith!

Gabe, those are the remains of a GM dealer installed unit. I like the engine bay setup better on the GM compared to the ARA but the console is really bad on the GM units. On my website there is a black 1979 GT we put the GM A/C in that maybe will have good enough pictures for you
I truly appreciate your answer and the black GT amazed me of your excellent work. I'm looking at this 73 GT, but just can't figure out what a good price on it would be to purchase. Looks like a bunch of air conditioning parts are missing along with the AC console. and I don't know why they would have ever taken it out. Someone had put a neat body kit on it, but who knows what it may hide. The dash looks good and chrome looks good. He's asking $2500 for it. It's one of those "I drove it in the garage and parked it 5yrs ago GTs". Oh well, thanks again so much for the answer to my question and again your work is excellent!

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts