Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched all over for an a/c center console for my GT with no luck.I was wondering if there is a place to find one or to figure out how to make my own?I have the ARA blower.I also have the compressor on the way and I have the condensor.Any help would be great.Thanks Tim

·
Registered
9 Posts
a/c center console

I just fell air to a 1971 gt which had a/c..the car sit for years. I have removed all the a/c componets as I don't really have any use for them ..bottom line all this stuff is available if your interested..of course it's not new but other than a couple of the air vent deflectors being damaged or missing it's in pretty good condition..overall I would rate all of the componets as fair to good. Let me know if you are interested...dave

·
1,718 Posts
Tim
This is the York A/C compressor and was mounted on pass. side of
eng. With the new ref. that are in use today(R134) this is not the best
or efficient compressor to use.The variable spool or rotor compressor is
a good choice ,but you're going to have to make your on brackets :eek:
& use a universal cond. then you could connect to the opel evap.unit or
a universal evap . core & fan assy. .Be sure to use the new design R134
hoses to connect ( old style will leak ref. ) and be sure to use R134 fittings
to high & low side service valves. R134 A/C sys. require less ref. but runs at hotter temps. & need more cooling to the cond. ( ele. fan etc. )I have converted many A/C sys. to this ref. & it does cool but not like the R12 .
HTH & good luck
J Lewis

·
195 Posts
Tim, if you want to run R12 (the original freon for your compressor) there is a place in Ogden that has non-virgin R-12 for $2.50 an ounce. This is a bargain considering they will put virgin R-12 in your system as well, at the hefty sum of around $6 an once. By the way, you are looking at 2 to 3 pounds to service the system so you can do the math.

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info the compressor didn't look like the GM ones I have seen.Since I paid for this one I will use it for now. So I will have to get that name and # from you at the meet.Thanks Tim

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are there any pics of under the hood using this ARA setup?I looked but I am computer iliterate.Thanks to all.

·
1,718 Posts
The brackets I was talking about was to mount the newer design a/c
compressors .With you using the york compressor besure to check ref. oil
level in this compressor ( has oil sump ) .

·
1970-GT
1,242 Posts
I've had a custom A/C system in my GT for about 6 years now, still blowing cold here in Florida!!!!
If you want to stay totally stock I wont be much help.
Don't know of any new after market system for a GT. So were stuck with the ARA or GM unit.
The ARA A/C consol and rear blower unit is the best design ( got mine from Opel-gt source, thanks Gil ) and a must for an easier install. Yes there hard to find in nice shape and costly. A little bondo and paint on a cracked one will work if your careful. Hey if you live in a hot climate its a must.
Getting help from a local Vintage air is a good way to get ideas for a condensor and fan design and having custom hoses made.
Mine has a nose mounted condensor unit with a pusher fan and relay, this way the radiator still gets good airflow and the car looks stock!.
Now the hard part:
I mounted a Geo metro compressor on the (RIGHT) side of the motor! Yep, can't even see it!
Designed and built a custom bracket that mounts to the 3 existing holes on the block, a tensioner bracket, double crank pully, fan spacer, modified alternator bracket.
Tight, but, yes it will fit!
The small compressor drops RPM only about 100.
Need 50amp Alternator minimum.
Car runs cool.
The best part it looks stock and parts are available.
Lyle

·
Non Civilian
2,092 Posts
I'd love to see some pics of your system, Lyle. I have a black GT here in sunny California.

·
1970-GT
1,242 Posts
Was watching the storm!
I tried to load a picture of my A/C but it said the file was too big in attachments?
I'm a machinist not a computer guy!
What do I do?

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Cnc ...

Tru-Craft said:
Was watching the storm!
I tried to load a picture of my A/C but it said the file was too big in attachments?
I'm a machinist not a computer guy!
What do I do?
Even Machinists need to be "computer guys" these days!

There is a programme in the "Downloads" section on this site called "Irfanview"
that manipulates picture size with little or no degradation.
Just click on "MENU" at the upper left corner of our home page - then click on "Downloads" This will take you to the download section. look down that page till you see "iview395.exe" If you click on that the programme will be downloaded to your computer. Install it and begin editing pictures - after a bit of messing about to see how it works.

I am a CNC machinist too - 55 years old and learning new stuff all the time.
Nothing like this site to "drive" the learning of computer stuff! ;)

·
1970-GT
1,242 Posts
Yep, as you know the machining trade has changed with computers like every trade! If you don't have CNC, CAD & CAM you can't be competitive. I'm 46 and been in the trade since 16, wow 30 years! Thats scary!!!!!! Still enjoy it.
Like you said, learning new stuff everyday.
I'm pretty good on machining related computers, not this kind of stuff.
This site is great, everyone has something there good at, put them all together from all over the world and owning and Opel can be fun!
Thanks for the help

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the pic.That looks great.What about the condensor?Still trying to figure were I have an electric fan in front of the radiator.I was thinking on the beam that has the horns.Thanks again Tim

·
1970-GT
1,242 Posts
The A/C bracket is like an alternator bracket. Mounts to tapped holes on right side of block. Pulley on compressor lines up with rear pulley on crank. The fan needs a spacer to go to the front crank pulley. also the alternator bracket has to be mofified to line up with front pulley. No drawings.
The condensor is mounted in the nose behind the grille, the fan attaches directly to the condensor.
Lyle

1 - 20 of 72 Posts