Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
1970-GT
1,242 Posts
To right mount the compressor everything has to be custom fabricated and machined!
The engine compartment is so small, an 1/8" off and things don't fit!
I like the condensor up front, not blocking radiator air flow.
Using standard compressor mounting position and bracket is the simpler and cheaper way.
Mix and match?
If enough people got together we could design a nice after market unit. Gil has started on the project I've heard.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Your welcome!

Looks good out of the car, now you have to figure out how yo put it all back together! OH, by the way talked to Dave on the phone, he presently has no computor to get on line with, A pipe broke in the ceiling and destroyed it. So looks like I can't get his advice on that carb.

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I found my console and it has all the vents.But now I am missing the trim that holds them in. If anyone happens to have them lying around I need them?Otherwise I need to take a walk through the wrecking yard and find something close and make it work.Thanks Tim

Attachments

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
I have a couple of cracks and screw holes that I am planning on repairing. I am not sure what to use?Should I try epoxy or layer of fiberglass?That is all I can think of.Any advice would be great.By the way dash is fiberglass.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Tim, That is a good looking dash you have there. Looks as good as the one I got from JustDashes, from what I could see in the pics. The two pics on the right, it appears as though they are the AC console, and it looks like they are the same construction as my dash. A very dense foam over a framework and vacuum formed vinyl on top. That would be hard to repair and the repair work not be seen IMHO. But don't let me dissuade you from trying, others have done very neat repairs, I don't have the talent, so I sent mine to the pros.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey, just chiming in here late in the game--been out of town for awhile--a couple people who have looked at my GT have said that it once had A/C based on some parts I can't ID under the hood in front of the bumper. How can I confirm this?
Jo Anna

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My po does fantastic fiberglass but $$$.Tha dash he did he says he would have charged $500 for the work"luckily I bought both his gt's and parts in a package."Joanna If you can take pics I can tell.You probably have a drier and or condensor.That is all that might be in that area.The drier is about the size of a soda can"little taller and skinnier than a soda can".Condensor looks like a mini radiator.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Roger that and when son comes to visit this weekend, we'll snap some shots. Thanks so much! :)

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Condensor

Jo Anna, Here is a pic of the top of the condensor which is in the foreground - in front of the radiator.

Attachments

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Jim is that where the condensor is placed stock? I have an electric fan in that spot and was thinking of placing my condensor on the front beam that the horns are on.Thanks

·
boomerang opeler
5,638 Posts
tim there is no "stock " place as the gt never came with air from the factory
it was fitted by dealers in those places that get warm and hot (lucky so and so's ) that is why the console looks like a dogs dinner (IMHO)
im sure in this day and age some car co.(i would think 1 of the small jap cars would be a good bet ) makes a small enough air con unit to mound in the stock heater place and use the stock vents without the hideous bit down the centre and a small enough condencer to mount where you say

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Guys, that is the GM AC setup, the dehydrator/filter site gage is just barely visible in the bottom right of the pic. That looks just exactly the same as what Willit? did before I started all this fun, right at 5 years ago. :eek:

·
Registered
509 Posts
GT Tim said:
Finally I got my console.Took a little work but I got the parts I needed to finish.Thanks Ben and Liz
I have to agree with Baz, that the whole set up did look like a "Dogs Dinner" after I actually got to see it all! Those big tubes on the passanger side, and under the seat, the huge thing in the back, it all looked like it took up the space of a whole person. I can hardly wait to see what you did with it all Tim. See ya Saturday! :D Happy Air conditioning!

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
That's why it needs Tim's touch.I had a sticker made wondering what you guy's and gals think?I am also running the condensor out of a 87 4 runner I will post pics later.

Attachments

·
1970-GT
1,242 Posts
I had a couple small cracks in my console, fixed it with fiberglass and bondo. A good trick is to use a piece of vinyl or plastic with a simular texture or pattern as the console. Before the bondo totally dries push the plastic onto the area. Also take a small screw driver and try to push the bondo around to match as close as posible. Black paint or dye sprayed and rubbed into repair and it will look pretty good! Cheap fix!
Lyle

·
Registered
150 Posts
GTJIM said:
Jo Anna, Here is a pic of the top of the condensor which is in the foreground - in front of the radiator.
Hmmm, not looking like what I am seeing under the hood--will take and post photos next week--step daughter's wedding is next on agenda.
Thanks all. :)
Jo Anna

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
From Liz' description of what she saw on the AC tubes on the pax side and under the seat, got me to thinking. The GM AC on Willit? had the referigerant lines under the car on the driver's side, of course that's where the compressor is too. But the evaperator/fan unit was under the shelf sitting in the cavity and the original shelf bolted/screwed to the top of the unit and the air intakes are part of a cover over the unit and covered the gap between the structure and the shelf. The whole package raised the shelf about 4-6" above the original height.

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Are you saying use fiberglass resin?Why would you need bondo if you use resin?I like the tip useing another piece of plastic I was thinking of different ways but I will go with that.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts