Opel GT Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Thanks for the advice.I am a little busy this weekend so I will have to try it later this week.

·
1970-GT
1,242 Posts
How did the console work out? Decide on a compressor plan?
Was talking to Gil he said there working on the A/C stuff again so thats good news!

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
The comp is holding me back.After a little more thought I don't want to loose too much power.I was wondering if we can get some specific info and pics of your GT a/c?Your setup has lasted long enough for me.I know your a little busy right now but when you can that would be great.I will put pics of the progress later.Thanks Tim

·
1970-GT
1,242 Posts
Yep, air cleaner project taking up lots of time.
Gil is working on a AC system now. I gave him some info about mine. Now that the weather is getting cooler, I want to make some improvements to my A/C so I will try and get info. My condensor is mounted on the horn support like you were talking, about 10" x 20" with a pusher fan, Vintage air. The compressor is the hardest part, look at the radiator hose and picture an AC clutch unit fitting in there!!!! Let Gil know there is interest in the AC system! He has some ideas about a different radiator hose!!!! I would love to get one of those, and move my compressor to a better location.

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
:D The next project could be the a/c compressor brackets.Can't wait to see the carb plate.Thanks Tim

·
1970-GT
1,242 Posts
Thats a thought, AC bracket. If Gil can get the special radiator hose and pulley, I will redesign my bracket to move my Geo Metro compressor to a better position. I can make more than one!!! The one I have now is kind of like an alternator bracket with 3 mounting holes, a cutout to clear the oil pump housing and a tensioning bracket! Its a real tight fit!

Well, going to take my daughter out to a halloween thing, she's going as a witch, I'm going as an older balding guy:D

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I did a little work on my console.I put it in my car for fun"I still need to swap out the dash". I think it looks pretty good for never doing work like this before.

Attachments

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I also thought I would add something else to the grills on the spacers.I was also looking though some boxes and found 2 different blitz's for the front.My 73 has the 1 on the left.I was wondering if the different style is a different year?I also found a smaller blitz same as the one on the rignt.Is that one from another GT? Thanks Tim

Attachments

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Kadett ....

GT Tim said:
I was wondering if the different style is a different year?I also found a smaller blitz same as the one on the rignt.Is that one from another GT? Thanks Tim
The small one is probably from the hood of Kadett. The centre one (that some Philistine has painted!!) looks like my GT one. Maybe the third one is from a Manta or Ascona ??
If you turn them over they sometimes have their part number cast into the underside.

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Thanks Jim I would look on the back but they went to crome with my gas caps.I like the way they look better.

·
Opeler
1 Posts
duct assembly and service manual

Hi everyone

I am new here, and i am looking for an undamiged console( duct assembly) in the Gt.
I have the original servicemanual for the opel Gt airconditioning .
I will make an pdf.file off it for for who is interested.
please send me your offer iff you have one to sell .

Greeting from Jakob the Netherlands .

·
1970-GT
1,242 Posts
GT Tim said:
I did a little work on my console.I put it in my car for fun"I still need to swap out the dash". I think it looks pretty good for never doing work like this before.
Tim, nice job on the console! Looks like new again.
Did you get the AC working?

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
No I have not hooked a compressor up yet.I think a Sanden is what I am going to figure out.The condensor,dryer,evap,and blower are taken care of.Thanks I think it turned out well.

·
Opeler
77 Posts
85' Chevy sprint comp.

Hello, I've been following this thread because i am getting ready to install my A/C but my situation is even more difficult because i have very little space due to having Fuel injection on my GT. Here's what i've gathered so far:

1. The 85' Chevy Sprint compressor is very little, has a small bracket and has a V shaped pulley. I pulled it at the pikurpart for $30.00. It might not work but at least i can use it for test fitting and then use it as a core to buy a rebuilt one. If it works, i've saved $250 on a compressor. If this compressor does not fit I don't know what will because it's very small.

2. The Geo Metro (90's) comps are also very small and a dime a dozen at pick your part put they have the serpentine type pulley.

3. The Sanden is probably a great choice but i have not seen one with a V shaped pulley on a car at the pick ur part. A new one probabley goes for $200-$300.

4. As far as the lower radiator hose, i think if you relocate the lower outlet pipe to the side of the radiator (any radiator shop can do this) and plug the existing outlet, you will free up space for the comp. You could use a Universal flexible rad hose with a 90 deg curve on one end. (about $6 at your loca parts store).

5. Condensor or condensator? I pulled one off a Geo metro with the fan attached and the plumbing for $30. It is small and compact and will fit in front of the Gt radiator easily. I don't know if the drier that is connected with it is compatable with the rest of the system? The aluminum tubing also has a couple sensors on it, i don't know what they are for.

I know i am stressing low budget but I know i will spend a lot on having the Hoses made and the system charged. I hope this helps, any suggestions appreciated.

Mauri

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
festiva

Teh Ford Festiva compressor is a good option too (same as the Toyota Tercel one) mostly because it was available with either the v-belt or the serp belt and in both R12 and R134a configurations. It's pretty tiny too.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Guys, I'm just a bit confused here, trying to figure out why you are putting the AC compressor down low on the pax side of the engine when there is ample room for it above the alternator ala GM AC setup. There have been more than one incident where the ARA compressor has vibrated holes in the oil filter, that by itself should have raised warning flags about relocating the compressor. I do know that Vintage Air has a hot rod package with small Sanden compressor that may have a V-belt drive. I was sent their smallest compressor with a serpentine drive for Willit? from that package, and it will go pretty close to the stock GM AC location on the GT, well, within 6" I think. The V-6 is configured just a bit different. Also, using the GM configuration, there's no worries about FI or hoses to relocate or any of that stuff. We all know there were two AC setups, why not pick and choose from the two and get the best of both? JMTCW.

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I can go either way with the comp.I haven't had a bad experience yet."I know key word yet".Actually I like the GM look.I wouldn't mind a crome compressor on the drivers side.

·
1970-GT
1,242 Posts
Stealth A/C

Ron, your asking why an Opel owner does something the hard way or takes a project to an extreme!? :D
Im amazed at some of the things I have seen on this site! Mostly very clever!
My reason is so the engine compartment looks uncluttered and hiding the A/C in my opinion is worth the effort!
Try and find my A/C in the picture.
You can see the A/C hose on the right front.
Been on there for 6 years.
Lyle

Attachments

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
LyLe, I can't fault your setup or reason, other than I've worked on GTs with both setups. IMHO the ARA is more of a PIA to change the water pump because the compressor is attached to it and is a real bear to remove just to access the water pump because of the mounting brackets being hard to get to. It seemed to me, because it is partially hidden under the manifolds and the bolts for it are not easily accessible. You couldn't use the GM system or mount a compressor on that side because of the overflow tank. I also believe that some folks have almost lost their motors when the compressor got loose and ate through the filter is not a fun thing either. Personally I would opt for the more maintenance free sytem. But different strokes. Neat engine compartment BTW.

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Well it is time to put my car back together and I still haven't figured out what to do with the A/C.I need a double pulley though.If anyone has one I can buy that would be great.I was also wondering if anyone has any good pics of a smaller compressor setup.Thanks Tim

41 - 60 of 72 Posts