Opel GT Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
GT ARA compressor mounting

namba209 said:
Guys, I'm just a bit confused here, trying to figure out why you are putting the AC compressor down low on the pax side of the engine when there is ample room for it above the alternator ala GM AC setup. There have been more than one incident where the ARA compressor has vibrated holes in the oil filter, that by itself should have raised warning flags about relocating the compressor. I do know that Vintage Air has a hot rod package with small Sanden compressor that may have a V-belt drive. I was sent their smallest compressor with a serpentine drive for Willit? from that package, and it will go pretty close to the stock GM AC location on the GT, well, within 6" I think. The V-6 is configured just a bit different. Also, using the GM configuration, there's no worries about FI or hoses to relocate or any of that stuff. We all know there were two AC setups, why not pick and choose from the two and get the best of both? JMTCW.
Not to nitpick unduly, Ron, but I think you're confusing the ARA compressor mounting in the GT with the GM A-6 compressor mounting in the Manta/1900, both of which are mounted on the right (passenger) side of the 1.9 engine. It is the GM A-6 compressor that exhibits the "oil filter breaching" problem, not the ARA. :yup:

The ARA vertical, twin piston compressor was mounted up high on the engine, well clear of the oil filter and required a special, ARA supplied, cast aluminum coolant duct for the lower radiator to WP coolant passage (2 hoses). There is simply not enough clearance between the GT engine and the suspension frame rail to allow mounting either an A-6 or Sanden type compressor low enough for this to be a problem. :no:

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I think I would like to mount a sanden or something that small on the drivers side.There are at least 3 of us in Utah wanting to do this.I was wondering if anyone has good pics of this kind of setup?I need to figure out how to make the brackets.I am sure at least a few have done this already.Oh yes I should have a double pulley on the way.Any help would be fantastic.Thanks Tim

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
That could well be Otto, I don't recall which Opel models had the oil filter problem, I presumed it was the GT that has the ARA comp below the frame rail on the pax side. I do know it was a real PIA to change the water pump on the ARA configured GT I worked on. By the same token, changing the alternator on my GM configured Willit?, with the stock motor, was testy, but not as bad as the water pump on the ARA setup. Everything on Willit? was up in front and I didn't have to get under the car to get to brackets removed. With either job, changing the water pump on the one, or changing the alternator on the other, The AC comp has to be removed for access.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Dual Pulley thread

GT Tim said:
I think I would like to mount a sanden or something that small on the drivers side.There are at least 3 of us in Utah wanting to do this.I was wondering if anyone has good pics of this kind of setup?I need to figure out how to make the brackets.I am sure at least a few have done this already.Oh yes I should have a double pulley on the way.Any help would be fantastic.Thanks Tim
This post (#65) in the "anyone got a dual pulley" thread might give you some ideas . . . for my Kadett, still . . .

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Well my double pulley showed today.So that is one problem out of the way.Next I think I will go to pick n pull some time this week and get a comp for mock up.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Air pump crank pulley

SpringGT said:
Tim, There is currently a double pulley for sale on e-bay with a deadline of 6/21/06. It is item # 4653009559, with an opening bid of $9.99.
Bob
GT Tim said:
Well my double pulley showed today.So that is one problem out of the way.Next I think I will go to pick n pull some time this week and get a comp for mock up.
I've attached a picture link above and I hope it's not the one referenced in the quoted e-bay item post above, as that one is a 1968 CIH air pump crank pulley, not an A/C crank pulley! :eek:

This pulley alters the front pulley V-belt path (+13mm) and spacers must be used for everything driven off it!! :banghead:

·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
The pulley I received was from the car with the ARA setup I bought.Thanks for the heads up though.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
To plate or not to plate . . .

GT Tim said:
Here is the pulley.I wanted to plate it like my other pulley but I think black looks OK.
Personally, I think black looks better . . . particularly on Opel engines! The three legs and slots identify it as an ARA A/C pulley, BTW.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts