Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay! I think I have found the right place to do this. nov. 15-13
First let let me say..Installing a/c in a GT is not for the faint of heart and should be left for the professionals like Keith. But if you are low on cash or like a challenge then read on.... I will do my best on this info as I can,this is not foolproof,but will be a detailed discription of how "I" am installing A/C in my 71 GT.Feel free to copy if you like these ideas.I do not except any responsibilty for these tips and ideas.This is just me making an atempt to give back to the opel gt community.... I got my 505 Sanden compressor,12 in push pull fan,hoses,fitings,condenser from Nostalgic auto parts (the one in tampa.) I ordered the (York compressor bracket) and was not impressed with the size and wieght of it.So I sketched a smaller one made out of .25 in steel and had it cut and made in a machine shop.(look for my pics and plans of this in my garage or below).The width is crucial as not to break the ears off sanden comp. when tightening(If you are off a little use shims or soft washers such as brass or copper). Next hard thing I did was mock-up my own idea of a good solid table bracket that would limit vibrations and clear everything.(Also see my pics and plans for this too.)If while welding you get off a little you can grind a little here and there.This is really strong with the gussets welded in place.do not weld gussets where you put bolts.Leave room for a socket wrench.Set gussets to one side a little,do not center...Now that these two pieces are done.hand tighten bottom bracket to 3 holes on pass. side engine,set top bracket on top with comp. attached and decide where to drill holes to bolt the two together or you can weld them.,leave room to pull comp. towards fender when adjusting belt.(I bolted them)Keep in mind your aiming to line up with back sheave on comp.When satisfied with fit bolt and tighten everything. That's all for today.. pics coming and more info too!......phil (opey7) p.s. see opey7 garage,thanks....next will be a "neat idler pulley"

Attachments

·
Opel Key Master
5,337 Posts
I had a car come in with an a/c setup that might be an even better setup for the budget minded, but it needs a little tweeking, it used a double water pump pulley and didn't need the lower hose adapter...but the upper pulley was off by a half belt width, so I might play with it on an extra engine I have on a stand and see if I can get the line up correct and it still will clear the lower hose.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
A/C idler pulley on a budget

This is a neat trick for an IDLER pulley for the new compressor on pass. side. I simply took the cam end cap (front) off of extra 1.9 engine. You drill 3/8 hole in middle of it and thread a (hayden) idler pulley bolt through the middle of the cover ,take the spacer that is supplied with the pulley and bevel one end ,slip beveled end over bolt inside,bevel towards pulley for more grip area,into turned around extra cover;add lock washer,and nut,.(you may need to use longer bolt).I then cut shims,(about 3/8 in) to go between end caps out of tube stock to place pulley at right place.You will need three longer bolts at least grade eight to bolt together as in attachment picture. (don't get too carried away on longer bolts for cover,they are hard to install with spacers(tip..start all your bolts and leave loose till all are started).....phil (opey7):yup: P.S... YES there is a small space between caps using spacers.

Attachments

·
UFOpel Investigator
3,472 Posts
opey7
Nice to see somebody else grab the bull by the horns and actually do a modern custom a/c for their Opel.
That's what I did for my Manta when it became obvious no body else was going
to do or offer a modern a/c system for the Manta A and Ascona A. Some talk but no action.
Because of the very low mounting of the Sanden on the Manta I was able to do it without using an idler just coming directly off of the lower crank pulley.
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/group-...ter-c-sound-systems/14993-adding-c-manta.html
Good luck with your installation and keep us abreast of your progress.

·
451 Posts
Okay! I think I have found the right place to do this. nov. 15-13
First let let me say..Installing a/c in a GT is not for the faint of heart and should be left for the professionals like Keith. But if you are low on cash or like a challenge then read on.... I will do my best on this info as I can,this is not foolproof,but will be a detailed discription of how "I" am installing A/C in my 71 GT.Feel free to copy if you like these ideas.I do not except any responsibilty for these tips and ideas.This is just me making an atempt to give back to the opel gt community.... I got my 505 Sanden compressor,12 in push pull fan,hoses,fitings,condenser from Nostalgic auto parts (the one in tampa.) I ordered the (York compressor bracket) and was not impressed with the size and wieght of it.So I sketched a smaller one made out of .25 in steel and had it cut and made in a machine shop.(look for my pics and plans of this in my garage or below).The width is crucial as not to break the ears off sanden comp. when tightening(If you are off a little use shims or soft washers such as brass or copper). Next hard thing I did was mock-up my own idea of a good solid table bracket that would limit vibrations and clear everything.(Also see my pics and plans for this too.)If while welding you get off a little you can grind a little here and there.This is really strong with the gussets welded in place.do not weld gussets where you put bolts.Leave room for a socket wrench.Set gussets to one side a little,do not center...Now that these two pieces are done.hand tighten bottom bracket to 3 holes on pass. side engine,set top bracket on top with comp. attached and decide where to drill holes to bolt the two together or you can weld them.,leave room to pull comp. towards fender when adjusting belt.(I bolted them)Keep in mind your aiming to line up with back sheave on comp.When satisfied with fit bolt and tighten everything. That's all for today.. pics coming and more info too!......phil (opey7) p.s. see opey7 garage,thanks....next will be a "neat idler pulley"
Really really nice work- What are you using for interior components stock Opel?

-Nathan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts