Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am a newbie to this in every sense of the word...I am looking at possibly purchasing my first GT (1970) very soon. My question is this: I have gotten conflicting information on air conditioning in GTs. On one hand I was told that *NO* GT ever even had A/C as an option - on the other hand, it appears from some research that some did. I'm not versed on all of this well enought to know which end is up! :confused:

So, if anyone knows: Did any GTs come with A/C? For those that didn't (i.e. my '70 prospect) is it possible to have air installed and if so at what expense and pain in the a--?

I appreciate the input!!!!

·
Opeler
30 Posts
It's always possible to add ac, just depends on how much $$$ you want to shell out. I do believe that some GT's had ac as an option, but I'd have to check my books to be sure. Either way there are aftermarket options out there for the hot rodding crowd that are small enough to fit in a GT.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jay,

Thanks much for the answer. What would an aftermarket run me - ballpark, if you know? I have absolutely no idea whether it would be $300 or $3000 ... (clueless, yes I am thanks!)

·
Certified Opelholic
1,466 Posts
the best thing to do is to try to find a GT with a working AC in it already

2nd option is to buy a complete system from someone's GT
hard to do most times you just get some of the parts

3rd would be to have a custom AC system installed
a pretty tall order but could be done

one thing you can do is contact these guys in San Antonio

http://www.vintageair.com/

I bought an under dash unit from them years ago (95-96) with the idea of putting custom AC system in my GT

the smallest unit Vintage Air had did not fit i needed another 2 inches. even beating the fire wall with a big hammer did not work

maybe putting it under the passenger side kick panel would have worked

my car was totaled in a wreck so i gave up and got into racing

The cost of the unit was $450 back then.

Give Vintage Air a call. They don't install systems but there was a place right across the Highway owned buy the same family that did maybe the could give you there number and you could ask them.

May guess (big guess) is if you could find someone to do it for you it would cost $2500.

also you should know there Opel people working on AC stuff right now

i would not be surprised if we don't see some AC consols from Opel GT Source in the near future

HTH
Davegt74

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave. The Opel I am looking at doesn't have air, but I kinda have my heart set on it. Its a total resto at a good price and has everything else I want. I'll start lookin around for old GT air sets. Livin in Iowa, a/c is a must unless you wanna drive the car only after about 8p.m. :p

·
Certified Opelholic
1,466 Posts
Iowa Ha Ha i am in CO now and i told the guys at work hey its not even 100 deg what are you talking about hot

you should try TX its Tarzan Hot down there

talked with a friend in TX yesterday he has factory AC on his GT

he says he has too many projects right know but will get back into the AC stuff later this year or next year

He said he likes his AC setup but it could be made better.

so he might be getting my old AC stuff to play around with

i have an ARA AC bracket kit new in the Box
(ARA is a company that sold AC kits for the GT before GM had factory AC) the kit was used to bolt in a York AC compressor unit in the GT
hard to talk about this stuff without going into a lot of detail

my friend did say you would need an Oil Cooler if you plan to run AC and a 4 core radiator
so that might be something to look into after you get your GT

Have fun and stay tuned

Davegt27

·
Registered
44 Posts
GT A/C

Mine has the original Gm air. If you want, I could give you a ## of a guy I met a few months ago who was selling some GM Opel AC stuff..(compressor, condensor, under dash Kadett unit?) I don't remember what all he had. He lives north of Houston. I think I saw a new GT evaperator on Ebay recently, too.
If you have a choice, go with the aftermarket ARA system. The GM system puts too much drag on that poor engine, and the GM A/C console is bulky and gross looking. I like the ARA console better.
Has any1 tried running the a/c without the center console in? i mean, just having the air shoot out between the seats? hhmmm? did that keep you cool at all? i might try that...

·
GT Owner
319 Posts
......<i would not be surprised if we don't see some AC consols from Opel GT Source in the near future.....>

I spoke with Dennis at OGTS today and they have the center consoles in the ARA style available for $450.

Bob

·
Registered
44 Posts
that a/c system is an ARA. see how the console is nice and symmetrical? the GM console is really gross compared to the ARA. Also, the ARA compresor mounts on the right side of the motor. the GM compressor is on the left side, above the alternator. they butchered the shroud that houses the rod that goes to the master cylinder to make room for it. I'd love to show you pics of all this if I could...jeez... :p

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Adding A/C

You can add A/C to a GT but would you want to? If you want anykind of honkin sportscar, then give up the A/C idea, it only slows your car way down.

On the other hand if you want to add air bear in mind a few things. You'll need to get your radiator cleaned out, and maybe recored, you'll have to add an electric fan with a thermostat & Relay control if you want it to work right. You'll need to go to a two belt system.

No matter who's system you use, it will raise up your rear shelf about six inches, and that console in the middle is big, ugly, and expensive. If you don't use the console you'll have to drive for twenty minutes before the car cools down. Both the GM & ARA systems are 30 year old designs, and the compressors are ancient, not to mention it's a freon system.

Your best bet, just my suggestion, is to have a custom bracket made to hang a modern (ie:sankyo) compressor from the three bolts on the passeger side of the engine, buy a custom evap unit from the guys at Vintage Air, and place it under the rear shelf. Make your own lift sections, and vents.
Lastly get a large electric fan to put in front of the condenser.

If you have any money left, have a custom two belt pully made, because the cast ones in the kits weigh a ton, and slow you down. But if you have one made, or modified, and you take the stock fan off, the horsepower loss is not too bad.

James

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Personal opinion on the two systems used on the GT, I like the GM system better under the hood. The ARA is a PIA to change the water pump, it bolts to the water pump and there are brackets below the engine that are a pain to get to. The GM bolts above the alternator and true the firewall brace at the brake rod has to be trimmed for the compressor to fit. And the belly pan has to have an access plate cut into it for battery removal, after the condensor is installed. I don't have either console ducting on my 72, just a big hole between and behind the seats. Once the system was turned on, in about 4-5 minutes you had to turn it down or it would throw ice cubes. I don't think on a good, working system, you need the console ducting to cool down the passenger compartment. There is enough cold air coming out of the duct and the area is so small, it doesn't take long to cool everything down.

Ron

·
240 Posts
Your best bet, just my suggestion, is to have a custom bracket made to hang a modern (ie:sankyo) compressor from the three bolts on the passeger side of the engine
I'm going to do a mockup of this and see if there is room on the passenger side. That is where the compressor was located in "factory air"(not sure if it was ever factory installed) wagons and sedans...at least I have some parts from a 75 wagon that had a/c.

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Yep There is

Garry, not only is there room, but if you do it right you can hide it under the aircleaner box. Please excuse my horrible drawing skills, but I broke out the tablet, and anyway here's an idea of what the bracket should look like.
James

·
Opelholic
36 Posts
I know where you can get a complete stock opel GT A/C system except hoses which were cut to facilitate removal. I believe that all the interior parts are there also. Email me if interested

[email protected]

·
240 Posts
garrymc said:
I'm going to do a mockup of this and see if there is room on the passenger side. That is where the compressor was located in "factory air"(not sure if it was ever factory installed) wagons and sedans...at least I have some parts from a 75 wagon that had a/c.
At least on a GT it looks like there is not enough room on the passenger down low. The lower radiator hose is in the way. The 75 wagon had a side exit for the lower radiator hose (I think).

Right now A/C for the GT is way on the back burner.

Garry

·
1000 Post Club
4,110 Posts
I just learned at Carlise that the Manta's, Sport Wagons and 1900(Ascona's) compressor(mounted on the passenger side) would slowly move down and hit the oil filter and eventually poke a hole in the filter which would cause a oil pressure failure and engine failure. If you do install a system in your Opel, use a remote oil filter set up. My 74 Manta Luxus came with a siezed engine which was cause by this set up.

Just my 0.02

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
R134a!

It is important to upgrade from R12 to R134a refrigerant when piecing together an A/C system these days. The easiest way to do this is to use a modern compressor off a 1990's car - preferably one designed for low drag on a four-cylinder car. A good idea to use a new condensor as well and new hoses to keep as much of the refigerant in the system as possible. Also a new dryer is absolutely mandatory to keep any water in the system under control. Moisture is the big enemy of A/C systems and all efforts to purge the system of it before sealing it up pay off handsomely.

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
Tiny Compressor

Attached are photos of a new A/C compressor I bought for my 3-cylinder Geo Metro. It's for 134a and makes the car frosty cold. And as you can see...it's not much bigger than your fist. I bought this as a spare for my car because the price was right...but I may use it for an Opel conversion to 134a. It would be perfect for the tight quarters under the GT hood!!! Food for thought. -Scott

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts