Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Opel GTer
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im restoring m 70 GT
Id like to install A/C. What should I expect to budget for it, and is there a good place to find one? any onfo is hugely appreciated.
Clayton

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
Vintage Air has a nice setup that coudl probably be fit under the dash or in the luggage area. I would also check with GT Source, I heard he maybe making the air boxes in fiberglass.

·
Opel GTer
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx for the info. Ill give Opel Gt Source a ring tomorrow.
Clayton

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Welcome . . .

Clayton918 said:
thx for the info. Ill give Opel Gt Source a ring tomorrow.
Clayton
Welcome to the group. Where in OK are you? We have a big meet coming up in a few weeks, Oktoberfest in Meridian, TX. You're invited . . . bring your Opel, regardless of shape it's in. Go to http://www.texasopel.com for more info.

·
478 Posts
I tried OGTS and they are tracking down the mold and then they need to find someone to produce them.I have been tracking down a/c piece by piece.E-bay and on this site.Good luck.Tim

·
Opel GTer
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx guys,
I live in the tulsa area.
I dont think I will be able to get my opel down to texas. Not without some sort of miracle. But I can and def will get myself there hopefully!!!! Ive owned and loved my car for 7 years and have yet to see another driveable Opel in person. I AM SO PUMPED!!!!!!!!!
-Clayton
oh thx for all the advice on locating a/c...what should I to expect to pay? Ballpark.
You guys Rock!!
-Clayton.....again

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Clayton918 said:
What should I to expect to pay? Ballpark
It can go from $500 to $1,000 for just the parts. I have seen the center A/C console go for $200 to $800 by itself.

I let one of the ones I have to member to use as a template a year ago to build one out of sheet medal. I have not heard from him lately on that project so he maybe able to help you out.

I have looked at vingage air and would recommend the rear A/C unit comming out of the spare trunk area. The prices I have heard from them range up to $4,000 for a turn-key unit. It is a little expensive.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
benncojr said:
It can go from $500 to $1,000 for just the parts. I have seen the center A/C console go for $200 to $800 by itself.

I let one of the ones I have to member to use as a template a year ago to build one out of sheet medal. I have not heard from him lately on that project so he maybe able to help you out.

I have looked at vingage air and would recommend the rear A/C unit comming out of the spare trunk area. The prices I have heard from them range up to $4,000 for a turn-key unit. It is a little expensive.
Actually vintage air kits can be bought on Ebay for under $1000 complete. The trick is the installation and the brackets for the A/C istelf.

Charles

·
Senior Contributor
5,048 Posts
After I finish my GT, with 2.2 and EFI, I have to evaluate whether or not I can fit the A/C back in, if not I will eventually sell it, but I probably won't know for quite a few months, like mid next summer. I have a complete setup including the center console, condenser, blower, radiator, etc.. Sorry I don't want to sell it yet......sorta like holding out a carrot :rolleyes:

·
Opel GTer
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jeff, plz let me know if you decide to sell. Your timing may be perfect.
I wont need a/c for 6 months at least......but let me know if you decide to sell sooner than that also. Thanks for posting.
-Clayton

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Jeff, if you have the GM AC pump mounted on the driver's side of the engine, your AC should just bolt right back in. If it is the ARA, I'm not sure if the EFI stuff will be in the way of the compressor that is mounted on the pax side of the engine.

·
1970-GT
1,242 Posts
Hi Tim, sounds like everyone is going off in directions! brackets, mounting ideas, right side / left side???? V & grooved pulleys, hoses, compressors, consoles.........
Nothing will be the same, Why should I measure my bracket? It won't fit with a different compressor! If everyone would go with an agreed upon design, we could come up with a modern bolt on kit, would be cheaper!
Then at least we could all have the same problems!
Just a thought.
My system is finished and has worked for 6 years. Take the best parts of my design and change the ones you don't like.
I would help you guys.
Lyle

·
Senior Contributor
5,048 Posts
I have the ARA setup. It is absolutely in the way of the Intake and other EFI parts, which is why it is presently laying around collecting dust. Of course there is nothing but a shell in my garage which is waiting to have body work done and paint, so I guess everything is laying around collecting dust. :p

·
1,709 Posts
I will have to agree with Lyle, His is a late model compressor and mounts on
intake side and his sys. has a proven track record. The older units are not as efficient ( uses more ref. and do not have variable displacement)use more fuel & HP loss. The replacement must be able to use R134 ,so these newer units will be our best choice in the long run .Just my 2cents..
Guyopel

·
1970-GT
1,242 Posts
I talked to Gil today about the A/C. He said the A/C stuff was not a top priority! He has alot of new Opel things he's working on. I told him about my unit and sent pictures. He liked the basic design. He thought there was a need for the A/C, just didn't have the time or resources right now. I offered to help with the project, if enough people were interested.
He has an ARA mold made for the console, not sure about the evaporator unit in the back.
I would help with a better bracket and pulley design to simplify installation and also improve my own set-up.
Everything else would be off the shelf modern 134a components.
Let me know if anyone would be interested!
Also design and other input would be helpful.
Gil seemed like he would do it, if he got a little help.
Lyle

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Folks, if you check on my Willit? thread post #347 you'll see a pic of the Sanden Compressor I got for Willit? It is right at $300 with fittings for either crimped on hoses or hose clamp barbs. What you can't see in the pic is that it is a universal mount and can be rotated around its axis. There are 4 mounting lugs, each pair is 180 degrees apart. The only thing is for mine it has a serpentine pulley, but I'm sure it can be had with a V-belt pulley also. I called Sanden and they don't sell to the general populace but, Vintage Air does have them and they can probably be configured any way you need. it has a single wire clutch setup and is set up for R134. Also, it will probably work very nicely mounted over the alternator just like the GM system. HTH.

·
tomking
2,484 Posts
I am interested in getting configured for AC in my GT, so Yes i am interested in this project. I am NOT interested in the old GM compressor or the York though. The smaller Sanden is the way to go, IMHO. Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts