Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I hope this is the correct topic for what follows.

I intro'd myself a while back and have just recently been able to get my hands on the 72GT. I work for a very 'big dawg' defense contractor that usually sends me across the Atlantic a few times a year, with my stay running 1 to 3 months. Did a lot of time in the UK over the last decade and Italy is now the current target of opportunity. I've also spent the last few years heavily modifying my 95 Impala SS and have just about run out of things I want to do to it - and the Opel is now the focus of my attention so I am at the beginning of the learning curve. Sorry for the rant, just wanted to lay a little groundwork so you'z guys know where I'm coming from.

Parts: From what I've read a lot of OEM parts are still available from Germany. Domestically, OGTS and Unlimited are about all I've been able to find as vendors for OEM and specialty. Is there much available for the Opel via the usual: Pep Boys, Autozone, Advance, NAPA, Car Quest? Any dealerships (BMW, Audi,etc) carry or have access to Opel parts?
Simple stuff like brakes, water pump, alternator, the usual wear out stuff. Anything on the East Coast?

How do you get parts from Europe? Are they shipped direct? Third party (don't know jack about using Ebay)? Customs?

Is anything Parts/Performance wise available in Italy that interests the community?

Still trying to get a feel for where you all get your parts from. I'm signing up for mailing lists and catalogs as fast as I can to start building a base for the new "Import" every chance I get. I'm into heavy USA metal; NOPI is a subject for verbal abuse around the keg in my circles.

Trying to do a lot of learning real quick - and I know it takes time, but I'm an impatient bugger.

doug

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
There are some parts available from the auto parts chains, but you have to specify "Buick Opel" to them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If I need rotors for my front end, I can get them locally for about $25-30 a piece. Other parts I don't know, I haven't asked, but as you know there are outlets for Opel specific parts. Also some of the members on this site also have a small stockpile of parts and can be persuaded to part with them at the going rate, whatever that is at the time. HTH.

Ron

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
Welcome Doug,

There are several guys in your neck of the woods, who can show you the ropes for scoring Opel parts, specifically Gene (BQS4).

There are several sites on the internet that carry some of the parts, as an alternate to OGTS, www.partsamerica.com and www.rockauto.com come to mind. But where you can, supporting the Opel specific sites will help to ensure their heathy business for our future needs. Some brake parts cross to other makes. Snoop around someone has posted a list of common parts on either this site or Classic Opels on Yahoo.

Check out Ebay.de for some good hard to get stuff. But there is usually an exhange rate and shipping to consider.

For excellent engine work, there is Roger Wilson of Roger's Opel Engineering. I just received a big valve, ported, and heavily massaged head from him today, as a matter of fact. Cam Techniques is the one for custom cams.

Son't be afraid to re-ask the same ole questions, you'll still get good answers. Also, be sure to use the excellent search feature of this site. I've collected several 3 ring binders full of good info, to feed all of my future projects.

GL

Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts