Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Modified GT in Instanbul Turkey.jpg

This pic cropped up on a non-Opel Facebook group. An FBer with the handle "Cihturbo Manta", who is one of the most knowledgeable Opelers and Opel collectors, said: "I know this vehicle, its an OPEL GT in Istanbul, Turkey."

The door is the right shape for a GT, except for that upwards curve of the sill at the back and different door handles. It appears to have the pop up headlights. The windshield looks correct. The slope of the hood seems close enough. The car has clearly been widened at the back and probably has a different rear axle, hence the hole pattern difference on the wheels. The passenger compartment looks to be narrow like a GT. Clearly this car has been modified out the ying yang and probably has parts from other cars grafted onto it, plus a ton of body putty and custom panels. Granted, there's probably only about 50% or less of a GT still there.

Your thoughts?

:thinking:

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
View attachment 392905

This pic cropped up on a non-Opel Facebook group. An FBer with the handle "Cihturbo Manta", who is one of the most knowledgeable Opelers and Opel collectors, said: "I know this vehicle, its an OPEL GT in Istanbul, Turkey."

The door is the right shape for a GT, except for that upwards curve of the sill at the back and different door handles. It appears to have the pop up headlights. The windshield looks correct. The slope of the hood seems close enough. The car has clearly been widened at the back and probably has a different rear axle, hence the hole pattern difference on the wheels. The passenger compartment looks to be narrow like a GT. Clearly this car has been modified out the ying yang and probably has parts from other cars grafted onto it, plus a ton of body putty and custom panels. Granted, there's probably only about 50% or less of a GT still there.

Your thoughts?

:thinking:
All that can be said is "It's different", and although it had a Gt as its roots, it isn't one now. Note Mustang on the rear. Just my thoughts, Jarrell

·
Detritus Maximus
2,230 Posts
Fear not...its a 70s Camaro/Firebird.
The door handle and upsweep at the back of the door and the general size.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,230 Posts
I think....

·
RunOpel
1,246 Posts
Well if that was an Opel GT, a lot of money spent restoring out of class :no:
I'm just an Opel GT at heart and hate to see any Opel be wasted :yup::yup:

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's me and my '74 Firebird. Yup, the swoop at the back of the door window sill looks similar.:

74 Firebird 001.JPG

But the length of the Firebird's front end looks all wrong and the passenger compartment on the white car looks GT sized.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
And how many of you old timers remember this effort, and or where it is now?
I remember the effort, and know where it is now. The first picture gave it away. Only one place would have that many Gts, and the 2nd picture gave out the name.:yup: Jarrell

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Not sure about the rest of the car, but the headlight buckets sure look familiar. :yup:
Cheers,
Ron in FL
Sorry, but that is one UGLY car. I have seen a lot of cars, but this one takes the first place ribbon for UGLINESS.

Bob

·
Vendor
2,586 Posts
WOW, Ron, great sleuthing! How the heck did you find that?
Gordo,
I knew there had to be more pics of this unusual car somewhere online, so I did a Google image search
of your original photo. Lots of hits came up, but not many in English. That car appears to be somewhat famous.
It would be interesting to learn more about the build and builders.
Cheers,
Ron in FL

1 - 20 of 40 Posts