Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Curve Crazy GT
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just last august i bought a 1973 GT. i have been driving it to my hearts content :D and i finnaly need to know what im packin under the hood! :) i know for sure its a 1.9 liter so i gt that much. Now i jsut need to know what Compretion ratio its got and the year of it. ive read all the threds and still cant find out(guess sence im jsut 17 i cant understand all this fancy mechanic talk :confused: ).

so my VIN# 7727749960

engine block # is *19s 0905343*

and the # next to the starter is 1-1L-71

also on the head there is a #68 so i dont know what that is

ALL! help is needed by all u opel pros out there!

so help a kid out and thanks to you all!

chris

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Chris;
If you KNOW the the motor in it is original and has not been swapped or rebuilt, then it is a low compression (7.6:1) motor. It's the older 69-70 motors that had factory hi-compression (9:1)

·
Curve Crazy GT
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i m completly sure if its original or not i got it from an old lady for 1,000 taht won it in a raffel so i have no idea if its a swap or original(hoping its a swap :) ) and tahts y i put up all teh #s so im still tring to find out if it is a swap or not!

thanks for the awnser

chris

·
Curve Crazy GT
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not completly sure sorry

chris

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
It's a definate swap. What color is the motor?

·
Curve Crazy GT
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i recently took the motor to have it all regasketed and cleaned up before i put it back in i painted it red but before all that it was black

thanks
chris

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
coolchrisp said:
and the # next to the starter is 1-1L-71
Sounds like it has a '71 block at least. Have you looked into a spark plug hole with a light yet to see if the pistons are flat-tops or dished?

Bob

·
Curve Crazy GT
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes i jsut did and im 98% sure its a flat top piston but jsut to ask, how deep would the dish be and would it be quickly notiable if it was

thanks for ur help that its a 71

thanks
chris

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts

·
Curve Crazy GT
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes now i am 100% sure it is a flat top piston. so does that make it 9:1?! did they make 9:1 in 71?!

im trying to get all the facts on this motor like what do all the #s in the engine mean after 19S?

and what about the #68? its kinda random on the head
i could use the info

thanks to all that have helped so far!

chris

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
coolchrisp said:
and what about the #68? its kinda random on the head
i could use the info
The year of the head is under the valve cover, driver side, near the center cam access cover plate. It's not on the outside of the head anywhere.

·
Curve Crazy GT
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cool thanks

now still any one that would know if it is the 9:1 or what bob has been a super help so far and i hope there is still more to come

im hoping to learn all i can about this car!

thanks again
chris

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
9:1 for sure

Hi!
The only significant difference between hi and low compression is the pistons. Since you are now sure that the pistons have flat tops it is a 9:1 compression motor. Looks like a 1971 motor that has been swapped in at some time in the past......now is it hydraulic or solid lifter? Like does the valve gear "rattle" !

·
Curve Crazy GT
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what do u mean by rattel? and when? when i start the car cold in the mornin it allways has the knocking sound off the bat before the oil starts pumpin then with in 2 seconds it stops.That is the only noise really besides my exhaust leak :mad: !

thnaks for ur info all info is wecome on what this motor is and what it kicks out!

thanks

chris

·
1,175 Posts
I think that there's a good PDF file here which is also at an opel gt site "Powered by Hemmings" elsewhere on the internet.

The subject of the file is "Identifying GT's by year". It also goes into the serial numbers that identify engines, and I would also think, heads by year.
That will tell you if it's a hi compression engine.

There are also some identifying marks on the top of the head, once you remove the valve cover.

This PDF document also tells you what changed year by year, what the badging was, engine compression, etc. It's very well put together.

If you do have a high compression engine, it was not meant to be run on low lead or no lead (like we have now) fuel. There are some precautions you should take to take care of the engine.

·
Curve Crazy GT
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks to all who helped so far in this. ill try and find what BDD was talkin about but still all help is wecome. what percautions should i take? every tank full i have been puting in a bottle of lead additive if that is what u are talking about. But still ALL help is needed im a little new at this and know how to take care of it is pretty important to me and obviously to all you to.

thanks to all so far
chris

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Yep!

The lead replacement additive will do the job of protecting the valve seats.

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
I found a suitable photo that shows the location of the cylinder head's year of manufacture. HTH.

Bob

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts