Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my '69 GT is finally out of the shop, its been in since september getting body work done. now its at my dads and the time has come to start piecing it together, but theres so much to do i don't know where to start, let me know what you think, here is where i am now:

as of today the car is in primer sitting in a nice big garage at my dads waiting for me to start. the whole driveline is in the car... and thats about all that is, interior is all out, glass is out, lights are out, electrical system is in a box with all the wires labeled to where they go, master cylinder and brake lines aren't in the car, but rotors, calipers and the inners of the rear brakes are still attached (persuaded the drums off) but need to be all taken off and rebuilt. the engine runs and was just put in the car yesterday, hasn't been run in the car yet since the electrical, vacuum lines, fuel supply, cooling system etc. isn't hooked up, basically its bolted in the car and thats it.

i know what has to be done, but i haven't a clue what to do first, what do you think? :confused:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
If it were my project since the engine is already in
Paint
Brakes
Drive train
Fuel system
Electrical
Glass
Interior and cosmetics
Long test drive :cool:

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
i would work from the bottom up so underneath then corners then glass then electrics then tank then interior

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
baronbors: can't do the paint first, have to wait til september since i'm doing the body work at school

baz: so since the very bottom (driveline) is already put together, you think next should be brakes?

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
good idea (its 3.30 am here and i need sleep )
:D :D :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would work first on the electrical system, lay all the wires in place first, be alot easy at this stage, brakes, fuel lines,etc.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Just a bit of advice, since mine is still just a rolling shell just out of the paint shop. If your car is still in primer, don't put on anything that will cover the primer when the final color coat and clear is put on. Basically that means no chrome, no windows, door handles, window seals, absolutely nothing that will cover the primer coat. You can put in the dash and instrument panel if they will be masked off during color painting, seats, fuel tank other pieces of the interior, but not the door panels. The headliner should go in before the windows, the seals for the windows will also keep the headliner in place. But the dash has to go in, or should go in before the windshield. And, when you do work on the stuff that will cover the color coat, use masking tape to keep from getting dings in the new paint. Don't ask how I know that. And if you've painted the suspension, make sure the wheel wells are masked off too. :( HTH.

·
Opel Addicts
2,476 Posts
If you were clean, prime and paint just your engine bay, you could have the whole thing ready to roll after you do the body work and paint in the fall. It also has the heavy mechanical stuff done so you don't drop a wrench on your new paint. :eek:

JMTCW

Vickie

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Brendan,
I would agree with Al Olmo, The first thing is the electrical system but to do that the dash needs to be ready to go. First check the wires make sure thay are in good shape, lay them out on the floor check them (clean, patch, rewrape) if they are 30+ years old they need some attention.

Do you have the the dash defrost, and floor heating vents out? If it is, clean it, grease up the controls for the vents and put it back in. Remember the way you put things back it the reverse of takeing apart.

Then put the dash in. Hook up electrical system to the dash. Fire up the engine (run a temporary gas supply, ie gas can with the fuel line in it) This is to make sure the engine/electrical system is right (the dash will give you oil psi, temp, rpms) if the engine is not running correctly then you have time to get it running while you work on other areas.

The rest I will give you a list.
- Fuel line & Brake line (can be done at the same time - both are under the car)
- Gas tank
- Interor (sound/heat proofing, roughly lay the carpet)

That should take you till the you are able to get it painted. Once it is painted then the list is;
- windows
- lights (with masking tap around the new paint so you do not chip it)
- bumpers
- doors
- finish the interor (put the seats in)

That is how I am planning to to mine. HTH

At every step I would also clean and oil down what I could because you may not be able to get to that part again.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i pretty much agree with al olmo and rick.

i'd do the brake and and fuel lines, fuel tank, all the electrical/soundproofing right now. do all the body undercoating or inner rustproofing you can right now with products you like and trust. take extreme care not to get any fluids on the car right now, i woudlnt even lube up the hood hinges or door hinges, for safety of fish-eyes later on. just keep the car well covered, and vickis idea of doing the engine bay with rattle cans might not be a bad idea so you can finish the engine stuff off over the summer and just do the jambs and skin.

·
Senior Contributor
5,052 Posts
Don't forget to put the dash in before the glass goes in. It is very difficult if not impossible to put the screws in that are down by the windshield if the glass is in the way. If your heater core is out as well as any other heating components, in general they need to go in before the dash. Basically I don't think the overall sequence matters too much. What is important is to think ahead as far as overall assembly, so that you don't get in your own way and either have to take things apart again or make things more difficult than they have to be.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
alright, i'm heading over there tonight to unload the rest of my parts, and since the whole car was undercoated (including engine bay) nice and thick when i got it, and the interior has rust proof paint, i'd call that done and its looking like electrical first while i look into some replacement parts for the brakes

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
if you fit the glass this summer then it might be a good idea to spray around the frame first so its protected when done (with glass in there wont be any water protection under the rubber )

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,526 Posts
Al Olmo said:
I would work first on the electrical system, lay all the wires in place first, be alot easy at this stage, brakes, fuel lines,etc.
I agree I would lay the wiring harness out in the car first. With things like the dash wiring bundled until you get the dash in. But you can get teh main harness routed to the rear, engine, etc.. now before paint, carpet, and such go in covering it all up.

Then work on the mechanicals.

Then the dash (So you can finish the ignition wiring and such) , but nothing else in the interior until it's painted, Definately don't put the glass in until it's painted. I was planning on that with the Manta.. Then the $*&#( body shop started on the interior BEFORE they finished the bodywork or paint.. SO I had to go back and put in the glass to protect...

Now I have tape marks near the glass, missed spots around the doors, etc.. not bad mind you.. but enough to annoy me since I went to all the trouble to strip the car down to nothing before I brought it to the shop. Not to mention all the cleaning I had to do after it came from the shop.

Charles

·
Opel Addicts
2,476 Posts
I guess I was a little unclear. I meant to go ahead and regularly prime and paint your engine bay (with your chosen color--not rattle cans). Then, you can put your engine in and get all your mechanicals done before the body work.

Vickie

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
saxybiker said:
I guess I was a little unclear. I meant to go ahead and regularly prime and paint your engine bay (with your chosen color--not rattle cans). Then, you can put your engine in and get all your mechanicals done before the body work.

Vickie
I think the engine is already in unless I read his first post wrong?? :cool:

·
Opel Addicts
2,476 Posts
Oops, you are correct. Didn't realize he had already done the engine bay. I was a step behind.

Vickie

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i've been away on vacation for a while, and finally got back to work today, before i left i got the electrical system put in place and connected in most places, got the heater and blower motor in, then the dash... and now comes the trouble and questions...

1) anyone have tips on getting the instrument cluster in? i was trying for a couple hours with everything from brute force and profanity to careful placement and alot of WD-40, the screws and brackets that hold the guages in place keep hitting the brackets that the screws go into to hold it in place.

2) i hooked up the turn signals and they turn on, but won't flash... and they will only turn on when the ignition switch is set to lock, not when its on

3) what is the best way to check if the ignition switch is good or not? when i turn the key, nothing happens, the solenoid doesn't even click, so i'm assuming the switch is probably bad since i'm pretty sure the wiring is good. also what would be the best thing to do if it is a bad ignition switch? i have another one from my parts car, but don't have the key for it

i'm going to take an all day stab at it tomorrow with a buddy of mine that is pretty good with anything electrical since its pretty messed up from the looks of it, basically nothing works right, except the blower motor and dome light... any help would be great, thanks

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Simplemind,for nos. 1, try starting the instrument cluster from the bottom, and you do have the steering column dropped don't you? Nos 2 and 3, you need the wiring diagram and a test light and a lot of patience . It sounds also like the ignition switch might be bad. Hth somewhat. Jarrell

1 - 20 of 43 Posts