Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Opel Junkie
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all:

i took my gt out on the highway for the first time today...cruised shawnee mission park, visited friends to show off the car...had a great time!!

but when i got back to the house i noticed a burnt oil or grease kind of smell, and when i looked under the car i noticed a pretty good oil leak coming from where the engine and trans mount together. would i be correct in assuming that the rear main seal is leaking?? that is the only thing that makes sense to me.

it must be the highway speeds (70-85) and the relatively low gearing. i was showing about 3500-5000 rpm on the highway...could it be the oil just flows so freely that it gets out the seal that way??

looking for opinions here. i'm sure that ogts has the seal, if that is what is needed. also: can the trans be dropped with the engine still in the car??

thanks,

mike

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
Mike;
The trans can indeed be removed with the engine still in the car. It's just like doing a clutch job. The rear main seal will be fully exposed to allow you to replace it. You will need a seal driver to do this properly.
Gene

·
Opel Junkie
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
after examining the puddles, there does appear to be two different leaks.

one is from the front crank seal i believe. i just replaced the crank pulley, but i didn't replace the seal, and i think it is leaking now...no big deal.

the other leak looks like trans fluid. it is directly under the pan, but i'm sure the pan gasket is not leaking. i did service the manual trans a little bit ago. is it possible that i overserviced it (filled it level with the servicing hole)? if so, could it be coming out of a vent somewhere?

thanks,

mike

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
if you overfill them too much the trans will blow gear lube out the vent, done it twice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts