Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Opel Gt 1.9 Automatic
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys this guy wants to trade for stuff. The body seems very solid. I would like some of the rockers and body panels, but it is a 3 hour drive. It also has a weber carb.
Sam
May be an image of car and outdoors
May be an image of car and outdoors

·
Registered
511 Posts
Not sure how solid it is. Plenty of rust showing. Makes one wonder what isn't showing.
I know he is wanting to trade, but he ought to put a price on it. Not everyone has a harley project or trailer to trade.
Just typing in 12345, making it look like he expects somewhere in the neighborhood of 12k is going result in most folks passing before they read the whole description.
No title is a huge bummer.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure how solid it is. Plenty of rust showing. Makes one wonder what isn't showing.
I know he is wanting to trade, but he ought to put a price on it. Not everyone has a harley project or trailer to trade.
Just typing in 12345, making it look like he expects somewhere in the neighborhood of 12k is going result in most folks passing before they read the whole description.
No title is a huge bummer.
I have a 1978 Polaris Cobra snowmobile that only has spark is one cylinder and is a little beat up.I was wondering if he would trade for that, but it is only worth $100. I am not going to even ask him. Also Harleys are kind of expensive even a project could easily be $1,000. As my grandpa says about this GT it is probably to good to be true, if he only wanted a couple hundred bucks for it. If I would get it I would steal parts off it for my GT like rockers, rear "fender flares", weber carb, and a few other body parts.

Sam

·
Detritus Maximus
2,833 Posts
You never know about these things until you look at them. It could be more solid than the car you have.

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is way more solid than my car. The pictures speak for themselves...........

·
Opeler
653 Posts
Hey I'm only maybe 45 minutes from Wilmington OH! Wonder what my lovely wife Karen would say if I brought home another orphan basket case GT?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey I'm only maybe 45 minutes from Wilmington OH! Wonder what my lovely wife Karen would say if I brought home another orphan basket case GT?
I could maybe buy the rockers off you if they are cheap;) If you leave it outside behind the barn/garage she probably won't care!(y)

·
Opeler
653 Posts
The rockers are the first thing that rots out though so probably not there if this car looks anything like the pictures suggest. Honestly if I was doing rockers I would just get some flat sheet metal, find someone with a metal brake and make my own. Not hard to do and you then know what you have.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a VW Bus roof that my grandpa and I are going to steal some metal from to make rockers from. The only problem is that the roof is kind of smashed but it shouldn't be that hard to make them straight.

·
Opeler
653 Posts
I have a VW Bus roof that my grandpa and I are going to steal some metal from to make rockers from. The only problem is that the roof is kind of smashed but it shouldn't be that hard to make them straight.
I highly suggest going and buying some sheet metal at the local recycler. We have a metal recycler here in Dayton that sells metal of all sizes, shapes and thicknesses really cheap. No need to find and re-bend or shape something not suitable.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I highly suggest going and buying some sheet metal at the local recycler. We have a metal recycler here in Dayton that sells metal of all sizes, shapes and thicknesses really cheap. No need to find and re-bend or shape something not suitable.
I will have to look into that.

·
Opel Addicts
2,474 Posts
Like you really need this!

·
Opeler
653 Posts
Like you really need this!
Well I did go and look at it. Typical east coast rust bucket that's been sitting either in a yard or dirt floor barn for a very long time. Might be salvageable but would require enormous amount of work. I made an offer but haven't back yet. After seeing the beautiful Manta's at Carlisle Karen has hinted one of those would be nice to have! Hmmmm...:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts