Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure if it all could or would happen but, let me share my yesterday with ya. On my way to work I stopped off at the UPS store to drop off a set of Opel rims to ship out. They were a free set going to a warmer climate. The recieving party seemed to want them and was happy to be getting them. Good start to the day. Shortly after I got home Christmas came again this year. I got some stuff for the car that I have been very excited about. I decided to share a picture of what I got and you can see what I'm talking about. Now I just wish it would warm up enough to get started. I can't help but think about the Opel people involved in the day. They were spread out all over the place, 4 states and 2 countries. The Opel community can be such a small place sometimes. Kwilford I put this post here becouse of the pic.

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
If this is what you got, for the price you told me, I WANT A SET TOO!!!:D

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
One of Two

BQS4,

One of only two sets made - I kept the other set!

That set there travelled a looong way around before Nobody got hold of it!

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd like to think that paying it forward had something to do with it. I also think I was lucky and the stars lined up for that one. I wanted them since I first laid eyes on them, and well it happened. Jim did you see the additions?

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Nice new wheel bearings!

I see a plastic bag with the exhaust manifold studs too.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is an NOS bearing retaining ring on top of the bearings. I was gonna ask about the studs, but you already answered.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Stainless Studs

If you cannot find brass or copper metric nuts for the manifold studs then use plenty of Nickel Anitsieze on the threads.

One set of studs werew 8mm x 1.25mm pitch the other 10mm x 1.5 mm pitch for the big flange European exhaust manifolds.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya the 10s had the brass nuts already. All I got was the 8s. The lube was a kick, you probably been waiting for the punch line on that one. I'll let you tell that one if you want.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Social Lubricant!

You mean the 30 bottles of dehydrated Kiwi beer that was crammed into the parcel between the two Impulse brake discs?? :D

Labelled it "Lube" to get it past anyone who opened the parcel!

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
jim got to ask how do you dehydrate beer
ive been filtering out the alcohol from beer for 30 years but never seen it that way:confused:

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Kiwi Technology

Baz,

It was actually a commercially made "home brew" kit - locally known as "dehydrated" beer.

The only way I could think of to get 30 bottles of good Kiwi beer into the States. It requires a bit of work and water to make the beer!

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We both died laughing. I was opening everything and when I picked that up I couldn't figure out what might be in it. He told me the story behind it and we decided not to mix it up in the bathtub on the spot. After a very short discussion it was decided that it was traveling back over the mountains. I think it was a factor in my keeping the exhaust studs. I was trial fitting things and reading the instructions last night. You mention a stamped steel plate between the mounting plate and the axle, also list a part #. Is this part already in there or is it something that I still need to get?

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Existing Part

It has an Opel part number because it is a bit that you should already have - the pressed sheet metal part that is held on by the four brake backing plate bolts that acts to drain any diff lube which comes through the wheel bearing back through the hole between the lower two backing plate bolts. It is captive between the wheel bearing and the flange of the axle. The new caliper mount replaces the thicker wheel bearing retainer plate and the oringinal brake backing plate.

You will see the drain-back hole in the new caliper mounting plate that will line up with the one in the existing diff housing brake backing plate mounting flange,

The thick flat washers go on top of the pressed sheet metal bit - directly under the nuts. The oringinal backing plate bolts can still be used as they should be long enough.

Just make sure that there is a bit of preload on the outer race of the wheel bearing - about 0.005" . This stops the outer race spinning in the axle housing - it is quite important.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts