Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Kick a little asphalt
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I stumbled accross a few interesting photos recently while sorting through piles of old pictures. I figured some of you would enjoy seeing yet another creative idea that someone had to modify their Opel GT. While on vacation several years ago, we visited some friends who live in a gated community down south. Everyone in the community has a golf cart, or several, as a means of traveling through the development to visit friends or to play a round of golf on the private golf course. Like everywhere else in this country, for some reason, the favorite past time seems to be everyone in the development trying to "one up" or outdo eachother by having a bigger, better or fancier cart than the other guy. There were some pretty impressive carts where it was evident that some people just have way too much disposable income, but this one seemed to be the most unique by far.

Duane

Attachments

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Ok i've been biting my tounge ever since I saw that. That is the type that give car people a bad rep. To turn a classic into a rolling POS should be illegal. To race one scares me. To give it a good send off is one thing but to just humiliate it for years should be criminal. I'm going to envision a chalk outline next to it just for my own peace of mind.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
what!!!

thats not a OPel. I dont claim that... get that out of my face... that is horrible!!! drive that thing off a cliff... after you take the original parts off, of course.. :D

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Or we could smile and appreciate the fact that someone thought highly enough of the GT to take the time to graft a body onto a golf cart... Bravo, I say.

I think it's a safe bet that the car that donated those parts was pretty close shot anyways, this is just a way to extend its life.

·
Kick a little asphalt
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was gas powered. Just press down on the accelerator pedal and it would start and go. I personally thought it was pretty cool regardless of what some of the people that take life, and Opel GT's, too seriously thought.

Duane

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
wow!!!

not much for what they did to the gt... but how would they do that push the gas and go thing? you mean it didnt have to be running the whole time, just when you hit the gas? AWESOME!!!! :cool:

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Jeff I've just seen too many end in a bad way. I think that in person I've seen 2 destroyed for every one I've seen running. What I mean by destroyed is a fatal crash or half altered so it can't be made drivable again.

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
Willy_g77 said:
not much for what they did to the gt... but how would they do that push the gas and go thing? you mean it didn't have to be running the whole time, just when you hit the gas? AWESOME!!!! :cool:
Um Billy, I might guess that you don't golf much. Pretty much every gas-powered golf cart has an accelerator-pedal activated starter. I would guess that this GT is merely a golf cart under some GT sheet metal (and/or some fibreglass).
Hey, here's a question. Or more like a statement. It's a well known fact in the oil patch (and I suspect other industries as well) that a person's golf handicap is directly proportional to the number of days in a summer month that he or she works. Unfortunately my handicap is still around 30. Which is the difference between a Landman and an Engineer (that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it).

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Willy, a golf cart powertrain is a hilariously simple and ingenious setup. A two cycle engine cranks up when you step on the gas pedal. For reverse, the starter runs backwards, the ignition timing shifts to the other side of TDC, and the cart goes backwards. The electrical system that reverses the starter is the only head-scratcher, the one and only time I had to work on one it took a few minutes to figure it all out. I think it was a Harley Davidson, of all things, and I didn't even need to get a tattoo to be considered qualified to repair it! I did have long hair and a beard at the time, perhaps that helped...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts