Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It Happens!

Otto;
I found it!!! I was cleaning out more boxes from my move, and I came across a little bit of history. Attached is pics of the "infamous" oil filter that side-lined our own Otto Bartsch, as he was trying to sneak his 3.9, 5-spd Bitter back home to TX in time for the big meet there. But, unfortunately/fortunately he ran afoul of the dreaded a/c curse. The old GM a/c compressors that were fitted to the Opels were prone to swinging down and beating a hole in the oil filter. This happened to me (many moons ago) and it also happened to Otto. But, it allowed me to finally meet Otto in person, albeit not the best situation as there was a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico throwing rain and high winds all the way up to Atlanta, and it was like o' dark-thirty in the am. Well, the filter stranded Otto in Doraville, GA, about 15 minutes from where I was living at the time. Gathering tools, a jack, mats, and whatever else I could think over, I went over and helped Otto back on his merry way. When I went to move, I ALMOST threw the filter out, but, I said, "nahhhh" as it's a neat little bit of history. So, here's the pics of the filter, after we removed it. We had to use a huge set of channel lock pliers to partially crush the filter just to get it off. But, here it is none-the-less. Otto, here's to ya bud!!! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Gene, I hate to say this, but there was no way for the GM AC compressor to get anywhere near the oil filter, it was originally mounted above the alternator. That's the only place it would fit. Now, the ARA compressor was a different story, it was mounted low on the right side of the engine and to the waterpump housing. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GM compressor

Ron;
I'm not talking about a GT, I'm talking about the Manta/Ascona/Bitter. All these had the compressor mounted on the lower passenger side of the front of the motor. And the square mounting flange around the front of the compressor had a corner that was about maybe 1/4 of an inch away from the oil filter. I have seen countless Mantas and Asconas this way. Granted if the newer lightweight compressors were available back then, this would not have happened. But, it did. I was a victim of this.
Gene

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
Close

Gene - I wish there WERE a quarter inch!! On all of my cars it's closer to 1/16" !!!! But it's really not a big deal as long as you keep the brackets tight. -Scott

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Ok, I now have a photo to show y'all of what I'm talking about. Otto and jdthunder(I think it was him) have fallen victim to this just like I have. The attached pic is of the a/c compressor mounted on my 75 Sportwagon. All of it is original and it is fully operational. But, if you look at the pic, you'll see where the compressor is actually touching the oil filter. Left alone, this will rub/punch a hole in the oil filter. I was stranded in SC by this. Otto was stranded in his Bitter, in Doraville, GA, and jdthunder lost a motor to this. If you're going to do a 100pt car, and not drive it much, you'll be ok, but, if you intend driving it, then get a smaller, lighter, modern compressor.
Gene

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Dealer Opel 1900 - A/C installation instructions . . .

BQS4 said:
Ok, I now have a photo to show y'all of what I'm talking about. Otto and jdthunder(I think it was him) have fallen victim to this just like I have. The attached pic is of the a/c compressor mounted on my 75 Sportwagon. All of it is original and it is fully operational. But, if you look at the pic, you'll see where the compressor is actually touching the oil filter. Left alone, this will rub/punch a hole in the oil filter. I was stranded in SC by this. Otto was stranded in his Bitter, in Doraville, GA, and jdthunder lost a motor to this. If you're going to do a 100pt car, and not drive it much, you'll be ok, but, if you intend driving it, then get a smaller, lighter, modern compressor.
Gene
In 1978 I was given a copy of the "Opel 1900 - A/C Installation Instructions 3031901" by my friend, Jesse Calame, who was the Parts Manager at Don Snell Buick at the time. It covers "GM" A/C installation for all 1900 models including Mantas, of course. In Step 8 on the front page, it states: "If the engine does not have the original oil filter, replace it with Opel GT Filter No. 7965051 (their emphasis) and replenish oil supply." :eek:

This is the smallest diameter Opel oil filter available and is used for maximum clearance, ~5/16", to one edge of the GM A6 compressor's square front mounting plate. Any other filter will be closer and cause the above-mentioned problem to exhibit . . . trust me on this! Luckily Gene happened to have one of these on hand during my little misadventure on that "Rainy Night in Georgia" several years ago.

The Fram P/N for the Opel GT oil filter is PH966B.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
It did happen to me, sort of. It happened to the PO so I got a '74 Manta Luxus for $ 250 due to a blown motor(I actually like the big bumpers). When I got it home, I put oil in it and it started except the tappetts(rockers) sounded like a snare drum. I drove it down the road, at night, and then all of a sudden the engine just locked up. The PO had someone disconnect the A/C by removing the hoses with a axe and in the process, he cut the oil warning light wire. The PO or I never knew we ran out of oil. The next day, I saw the oil trail from start to finish. The compressor put a hole in the oil filter.

Since all of the hoses of the A/C were chopped off and the system was trashed, the replacement engine did not have the A/C installed.

I kept the compressor and underdash unit for many years, but in about 1985 I trashed them. Young and Dumb I guess. Now I'm just Dumb :p

Interesting side note, The timing case in my 72 GT got a hole in it from a rock and bent the crank pulley. I kept all of the good pieces from the old Manta engine. I put the timing case from the '74 and the dual groove pully on the GT and it is working fine. Does this mean I have a GT/Manta Luxus Hybrid? :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts