Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Try 0 - 16,000+ mph in under 10 minutes...
Congratulations to NASA and Discovery. Let's hope they make it home safe.

Todd K.

·
Opeler
35 Posts
16,000 MPH eh, Pretty fast there. I think we'll see some new posts in the Engine swap forum about SRB's in a GT now. Hmmmm, 0 to 3Million Pounds of Boost in less than half a second. I wish my gt went fast enough to make a make a measurable difference in my age depending on whether or not a drove it for couple hundred hours or not.

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At least it makes you FEEL younger, right?

·
Opeler
35 Posts
Yes and no, I mean I feel younger after driving it, true, but It's probably taken a few years off the other end of my life, from all the times my heart stopped and my eyes nearly popped out of my head, (i.e. *@#$ BRAKES!!!!!!, or @#$* ENTIRE WHEEL FELL OFF!!!!!). Not too mention the car shares concept with the Heisenberg uncertaintity principle, The more I know about the momentum of the car, The less I know of where that weird rattling is coming from and where the loose ground is thats makin my dash buzz like a weedwacker.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Well Stan, you gotta remember Opel did have a rocket car way back when, so it wouldn't be too far off to have that in the engine swap forum. :eek:

·
Opeler
51 Posts
Sounds good

First off I hope this means we can go into space again soon. I mean how cool is it to watch those things blast off anyway?
Now speaking of turbine engines I remember something number of years ago, on TV, where there was a turbine powered car. This car was in Europe made about 150hp and got like 60mpg. If I remember correctly it was blue. :rolleyes: I wish I could remembeer more, like its name, so I could do some research on it. Is it me or wouldn't a jet powered GT be cool, Batmobile anyone? Hey maybe somone else remembers the car I think it was on 20/20 circa 1992.
Just for fun,
Shawn

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Shawn, in 63, I think, Chrysler had turbine engines in the Plymouth on a trial basis. There was quite a writeup on them in all the car mags. A couple of major problems with them was heat dissipation from the exhaust and a heat regenerator system to try and cool the engine down. The mag testers were really impressed with the smoothness of the engine and fairly good acceleration with the engine coupled to a Torque-Flite tranny. One major drawback was the exhaust would melt the asphalt when sitting at a standstill with the engine running. Another drawback was fuel consumption, it just wasn't satisfactory even way back then.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
rover made some turbine cars in the 60's to see if it was a workable prospect but they thought no one would live with a car that you had to start and warm up for 2 min before you could drive away they were fast but did not have good economy but the cost of paraffin/kerosene was way less than petrol/gasolene so it would have evened out
a google search for rover turbine car should get you info on it :D

·
Opeler
35 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts