Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

Wasn't quite sure which category fits my issue but here goes. The linkage for the gas pedal is not working to provide fuel to the carb. Actually it did work and then heard a pop (which I heard when pushing the pedal to the floor), although still working I noticed the next day the throttle fork on the carb where the linkage ball mounts to the carb was bent straight up. I haven't been able to get the linkage cable working since. When pressing the gas pedal i have little movement with the linkage cable. Does anyone have a complete diagram of the linkage system or a possible solution? Thanks in advance.

Novice Mike 11 week Opel GT owner
1970 Opel GT Automatic

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts
Hello All!

Wasn't quite sure which category fits my issue but here goes. The linkage for the gas pedal is not working to provide fuel to the carb. Actually it did work and then heard a pop (which I heard when pushing the pedal to the floor), although still working I noticed the next day the throttle fork on the carb where the linkage ball mounts to the carb was bent straight up. I haven't been able to get the linkage cable working since. When pressing the gas pedal i have little movement with the linkage cable. Does anyone have a complete diagram of the linkage system or a possible solution? Thanks in advance.

Novice Mike 11 week Opel GT owner
1970 Opel GT Automatic
OK, since it's an automatic, i assume it's a 1.9 (or other CIH)
Carb? Solex or Weber?

Either way, I'm going to guess that the "L" shaped piece that fits into the throttle linkage, on the carburetor, has come undone.
I say this based on the "pop" sound and the new position of the throttle lever, stated in the first post.

A picture would help.

At any rate, that "L" shaped piece is supposed to fit on the shaft of the carb with the hole of the shaft being more 0 shaped than O shaped. It's actually a circle with two flat sides.

Anyhow, I've seen that piece drilled to a full circle shape and held onto the carb shaft with just the pressure of the ball nut that goes onto the shaft. And that is a failure point because a full round circle can rotate to produce the effect you stated.

All of this assumes you have a standard setup and not some weird PO issue.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, since it's an automatic, i assume it's a 1.9 (or other CIH)
Carb? Solex or Weber?

Either way, I'm going to guess that the "L" shaped piece that fits into the throttle linkage, on the carburetor, has come undone.
I say this based on the "pop" sound and the new position of the throttle lever, stated in the first post.

A picture would help.

At any rate, that "L" shaped piece is supposed to fit on the shaft of the carb with the hole of the shaft being more 0 shaped than O shaped. It's actually a circle with two flat sides.

Anyhow, I've seen that piece drilled to a full circle shape and held onto the carb shaft with just the pressure of the ball nut that goes onto the shaft. And that is a failure point because a full round circle can rotate to produce the effect you stated.

All of this assumes you have a standard setup and not some weird PO issue.
The Carb is a Weber 32/36 DGEV.

When pressing the gas pedal i see no movement in the drivers side or passenger side of the linkage cable. The gas pedal seems stiff but not the same as it was prior to the pop.

Mike

Attachments

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts
Picture 3 appears to be the problem.

That hex coupler isn't stock. It's a PO thing, as I alluded to.

Also, and I'm not 100% sure, pic 2 shows the linkage has slipped under the mount and I think it's supposed to be over the mount. Again, not sure about that.

At any rate, the hex coupler is the likely problem. It has come loose.

· Can Opeler
4,116 Posts
This is on the wrong side. That big turnbuckle near the passenger throttle grommet is supposed to be on the other side. I know it's on the other side on my Gt at least.

Attachments

· Registered
2,175 Posts
This is a functional system. HTH

Attachments

· Can Opeler
4,116 Posts
This is a functional system. HTH
Mike, notice picture 1. This is where the part of the linkage I highlighted belongs. It isn't hard to fix this, just disconnect the linkage at both ends of the piece that goes behind the engine, flip it and install it correctly. Be sure to adjust the original (not the PO one) turnbuckle to make sure the length is correct after this.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike, notice picture 1. This is where the part of the linkage I highlighted belongs. It isn't hard to fix this, just disconnect the linkage at both ends of the piece that goes behind the engine, flip it and install it correctly. Be sure to adjust the original (not the PO one) turnbuckle to make sure the length is correct after this.
Thanks for the pictures and feedback also Kyler for the additional edited photo... Much appreciated and will keep you posted.

BTW I'd love to see the outside of the yellow Opel GT, that engine compartment is amazing.... Thanks again for the pictures...

Novice Mike

· Registered
2,175 Posts
BTW I'd love to see the outside of the yellow Opel GT, that engine compartment is amazing.... Thanks again for the pictures...

Novice Mike
Here you go

Attachments

Reactions: jmbinjax
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.