Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 73 Opel GT had the accelerator linkage removed and replaced with a cable. I've only had this car for a few months and the accelerator pedal sticks to the floor. After removing the cable, it is found to be damaged beyond use. This is not the original cable, so I need to find a source for the replacement or re-install the linkage. I do have the linkage but don't have pics to guide me on istallation. This is also not the original engine size or carborator. That may be why the linkage was not re-installed. Next question may be.... can the linkage be installed. It was probably removed when the engine was changed. I know it runs between the engine and firewall. They may have forgot to install it before putting the new engine in and decided to go with the cable.

· Befuddled
226 Posts
First off, what carburetor is on there now?

If it's not a Weber or Solex, it may not be possible to use the original linkage...

· MOD IT!
718 Posts
Use a Lokar throttle cable, You may need to make a bracket or two depending on your setup, but it's worth the effort. I have been running one for the last few years and they work great without all the slop and complexity of the factory linkage.

· Registered
11,832 Posts
My 73 Opel GT had the accelerator linkage removed and replaced with a cable. I've only had this car for a few months and the accelerator pedal sticks to the floor. After removing the cable, it is found to be damaged beyond use...
Ever see the throttle cable act as a ground when there's a bad chassis ground?
I have and they will stick...usually wide open:aargh4:
Just another thing to check.

· Administrator
10,419 Posts
Ever see the throttle cable act as a ground when there's a bad chassis ground?
I have and they will stick...usually wide open:aargh4:
Just another thing to check.
What Dan is referring to is there should be a ground strap going from the engine to the frame rail on the passenger side. If it is missing, any metallic part connecting the engine to chassis will be the current path back to the battery. If the path of least resistance is the throttle cable, you will get arcing in it causing it to stick.

· tomking
2,492 Posts
What Dan is referring to is there should be a ground strap going from the engine to the frame rail on the passenger side. If it is missing, any metallic part connecting the engine to chassis will be the current path back to the battery. If the path of least resistance is the throttle cable, you will get arcing in it causing it to stick.
Yes, when Dan speaks in his native tongue it requires interpreting. :haha:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.