Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
boomerang opeler
5,670 Posts
dont think it is adjusable
it has a push rod with a spring on it so youdont over load it when you floor the throttle but it is a straght forward system
whats wrong is nothing or little coming out ? if so then you might just need to replace the diafram and clean out the passages

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
from the FSM.....

1) Set the link as follows: If the split pin holes are .11" apart fit one washer between the pin and link; if they are .16" apart fit three washers.
2) Fill the float chamber and keep it full with a hose and a small tin of fuel. Operate the throttle valve lever fully ten times and measure the fuel discharged ( and caught in a medicine measure! ). Divide by ten. The resulting figure should lie between 0.80 and 1.10 cc. This is the volume of fuel discharged by each full stroke. Add washers to the pump rod to increase the amount injected; remove washers to reduce it.
3) Get a Weber carb ..... ! ;)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for replying!!!!

In carbs in Europe the pump stroke is adjustable because there are no holes and a split pin, but a threader rod and adjuster nut. So I will measure the squirt volume as per GTJIM's instructions and adjust accordingly...

The point is, should the squirt begin as soon as the throttle plate opens, or later?

·
boomerang opeler
5,670 Posts
gr_diver said:
Thanks guys for replying!!!!

In carbs in Europe the pump stroke is adjustable because there are no holes and a split pin, but a threader rod and adjuster nut. So I will measure the squirt volume as per GTJIM's instructions and adjust accordingly...

The point is, should the squirt begin as soon as the throttle plate opens, or later?
every one i used was a split pin 1 for an opel or bmw never run up against 1 with a nut to adjust it ???
all carbs have a slight delay as you have to take up the slack in the linkage its never instant
have a look for any model numbers stamped om the carb so we can work out what you have
i asume this is for the unknown origin didta you have

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
No it's for the stock carb. In fact, this type of acccelerator pump is described in the Haynes Manual for Ascona & Manta (B Series), but only describes adjustment for the split-pin type one... Since I don't have a digital camera to take a pic, I give you this scanned part of exploded view that shows the type that I have...

As for the other carb (the unknown) I really can't identify it...
I have been looking in exploded views on the web, and I can't make up as there are different variants of the carbs and also different exploded views for the same carb.... It is either a DIDTA or a TDID, but I can't tell. The cover has 5 screws, and by the gasket it looks like an pre-1975 DIDTA (see attachment, this picture I found at http://www.ruddies.business.t-online.de).

It has these main differences campared to the stock that my Ascona has:

No idle-air system (just throttle stop and mixture screw)
no econostat above the choke flap (this is where the hanging "straw" in the cover goes to)
no progression jets next to secondary's main jet
fuel feed line straight and not angled down
lack of float bowl vent valve (hole exists)
24mm venturi in the 1st, 26 in the second barrel (26mm in both in my stock)
no hot-idle compensator on the secondary barrel

and some other minor that I don't recall right now that don't make any difference for the car ...

I don't think I will ever use it actually, as these are considerable differences, and after hearing about seized pistons due to incorrect carb (lean at high rpm) I am not taking the risk of using it (unless I find positive evidence), since I mostly drive in highways... I could be a good parts donor, flaps, rods, secondary's membrane etc.
The only markings it has is a "45B" and a "0071" on two sides of the float bowl, nothing else, and unfortunately the identification tag is missing, which would directly point us towards the truth...

I took some pictures of it and made a zip to get them small. They are not very high quality, just from my webcam, if it's not much of a burden tke a look.

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well some news about the "mystery" carb...

After comparing some membranes from the

http://www.ruddies.business.t-online.de/Membranen.htm

and the ones in the carb, I managed to identify the accelerator pump's membrane to be the "TDID+DIDTA BMW AU-VW 5.15111.00" one (with the wide center metal surface, and conical part on the rubber part, in contrast with the flat rubber and narrow metal surface of the OPEL).

Reading an article in

http://www.bmwcca.org/tips/tipfuel.shtml

I found that the BMW version used idle-air system, so things lean towards the AUDI or VW version. I gotta search a bit for info on Solexes from these cars (damn, it is hard to find about these), and hopefully something interesting will come up...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, taking a better look at the terrible membrane pictures I saw that the one that I thought is identical, has a groove on the pushrod, so it's not it...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.