Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like a lot of owners here feel a bit burned or jaded by the number of failed “I’m putting XX engine into a shell ive found!” threads and projects that pop up here.
That’s part of my decision to build up my stock 1.9 CIH, but this is not the thread for that.
Do I still “want” more HP and torque than the CIH will ever be able to provide? Of course! The most fun I had driving was in a McLaren 720S, and I thought that thing was going to kill me if I looked at it funny.
The Opel CIH is unique in the the engine is much “shorter” than other engines of its time, and it seems everything has just gotten taller. I have my dream build that I’m researching, but not giving away until I can actually put it into action.
Part of that is developing a dry sump system to accommodate for the height difference. My application, it will save nearly 70mm.
I’d just like to see some info sharing on this concept, as I think it will help a lot of people complete their projects. It’s also humbling, because now I’m approaching this realizing I need to spend $2500 on the oiling system. You can bet once I pull the trigger on any one component for this, it will be completed after a price tag like that. Stay tuned (eta May 2028.)

Here is where I started my research. It’s not cheap by any means, but if it means less Opels headed to the wrecker, I hope others will spend the time to research.
Who has seen a dry sump swap on a GT, or any car for that matter?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Crossflow head engine. $30,000.
Yes and no. It's an engine with a crossflow type 16V head from an Ascona/Manta 400, but usually the crossflow moniker is used for the earlier 8V head.

·
Registered
802 Posts
A very expensive way to make horsepower. A stock 400 engine cranks out 144hp DIN, and if you want more , you have to have cams and other stuff made that cost an arm and a leg. But eventually you have a 30000€ 300hp DIN engine. For comparison, a stock dime and a dozen Y or Z22XE Omega B engine cranks out just as much stock, but costs next to nothing, and there are cams and other stuff available for cheap.

·
Registered
431 Posts
This kind of stuff makes me feel like a real slow poke, thought I was really tearing it up when I upgraded to a 2.0 - nice engine - 2028 that seems like a long time....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This kind of stuff makes me feel like a real slow poke, thought I was really tearing it up when I upgraded to a 2.0 - nice engine - 2028 that seems like a long time....
Lol, the timeline is the fact that this is mostly a dream, not a hard goal at this point. It’s seems that the chassis mods are actually the more difficult part of the swap. Custom manifolds, crossmembers, and hoods are easy. Redesigning your whole car to support 4x the torque? That’s a huge undertaking that takes knowledge or networking with the right minds.

·
Super Moderator
13,685 Posts
Part of that is developing a dry sump system to accommodate for the height difference.

It’s also humbling, because now I’m approaching this realizing I need to spend $2500 on the oiling system.
If you can fabricate, then build the pan yourself. They are usually pretty simple, but production-made dry sump pans are often $500-$1000. I’ve made a few before. Usually less than $20 in materials.

One of the biggest issues with a dry sump system on a street car is where to locate the oil tank. Not usually a biggie on a race car. But they can be instrusive.

As far as the rest of the components, don’t be afraid to buy used. A lot of NASCAR shops replace the pumps regularly, and sell the used ones on eBay. Often with just 500-1000 miles on them.

I got a dry sump setup from a local SCCA racer who was parting his car out. His oil pan didn’t work for me, but I got AN lines, a filter, a cooler, an oil tank with heater and a rebuilt pump for $500. I tore the pump down to inspect it and it looked like new.

·
Certified Opelholic
1,468 Posts
It seems like a lot of owners here feel a bit burned or jaded by the number of failed “I’m putting XX engine into a shell ive found!” threads and projects that pop up here.
That’s part of my decision to build up my stock 1.9 CIH, but this is not the thread for that.
Do I still “want” more HP and torque than the CIH will ever be able to provide? Of course! The most fun I had driving was in a McLaren 720S, and I thought that thing was going to kill me if I looked at it funny.
The Opel CIH is unique in the the engine is much “shorter” than other engines of its time, and it seems everything has just gotten taller. I have my dream build that I’m researching, but not giving away until I can actually put it into action.
Part of that is developing a dry sump system to accommodate for the height difference. My application, it will save nearly 70mm.
I’d just like to see some info sharing on this concept, as I think it will help a lot of people complete their projects. It’s also humbling, because now I’m approaching this realizing I need to spend $2500 on the oiling system. You can bet once I pull the trigger on any one component for this, it will be completed after a price tag like that. Stay tuned (eta May 2028.)

Here is where I started my research. It’s not cheap by any means, but if it means less Opels headed to the wrecker, I hope others will spend the time to research.
you can tell me
there are enough people that crap on other peoples ideas so make sure I am not that way

Davegt27

1 - 14 of 14 Posts