Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
It looks like a toss up. The reason it improves MPG is it cleans out the fuel system. I agree with Bob, acetone is some nasty stuff if it gets on you (from first hand experance). I would not do it until I see some good proof!!

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Blends

Acetone is not too toxic - lots less then Toluene for instance (and they use THAT in modern "petrol" blends!)
The most significant use of Acetone is as a blending agent for petol/alcohol blends as it will go into solution with both thus preventing the alcohol and petrol seperating out on standing in cans or fuel tanks. It was often used in early motor racing to stabilise Benzol/Alcohol fuel mixes at about 2% to 4%
It is also very volatile so helps the cold starting of these fuel mixes as racing motors are started for short periods on cold nights - especially in Dirt Track Speedway cars and bikes - which is where I used it 30 years ago before racing fuel blends were easily available. Also helps "hold together" 10% to 15% "Nitro" mixes....... but that is another story about bending the Rules!

Ah! For the "good ole days" when breathing fuel mixes was not even known as "solvent abuse" :D

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
One word of warning. If you do use acetone, make sure you use a glass graduated cylinder. Acetone, like gasoline, is a solvent and will dissolve plastic and can harm paint.

As far as getting it on your hands, it will remove the oils from your skin and turn your skin white.

Another common application for acetone is nail polish remover(hmmm paint). All nail polish remover is, is acetone with a lemon scent added.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
jlthunder said:
All nail polish remover is, is acetone with a lemon scent added.
will this make the exhaust smell sweeter ?? :D :D

i remember a chemical co here that used to make synthetic gas that smelt like a $5 hookers bedroom , used to cause divorces all the time

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I found the article very interesting. I am kind of skeptical, but I'm hardly a chemist nor scientist...
Seems like three ounces of acetone to ten gallons of gas is pretty weak, what could it hurt to try?
I've done an awful lot of fiberglass work over the last twenty years, have used many gallons of acetone. Other than the smell can be kind of nasty I've never been affected by it. If one used it every day I'm sure their offspring would be mutants, but occasional exposure hasn't hurt anybody I know...
Gas mileage will soon be a bigger issue than ever in America. We have been warned that gas will be $3 a gallon soon and never come back down. I suggest we all participate in experiments like the acetone trick and share the results with each other here.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
i have been trying this out for a few days and have gone from 18 mpg around town up to 22 over the 3 days(same daily trip to take mary to work and pick her up ) a friend with a diesel truck has gone from 14 to 16 mpg this for him will be a very good deal over a year

1 - 9 of 9 Posts