Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm upgrading the alternator to an internal regulated bosch 65amp today. I intend to bypass the amp meter and install a volt meter... charging battery thru starter solenoid post.

New alternator has 2 B+ spades. They are married (happily, I hear). If I choose to use just one (or splice both into one), what size of wire is appropriate as a fuseable link between alt and solenoid post? ... & What smaller size, as fuseable links, if two are used (two links from alt to one solenoid post)?

Thanks!
-Dan

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Dan, I'm now sure how the Bosch alternators work as far as regulating the output, but most use the amp light to regulate the ouptput. I know it sound crazy, but that's how the internal regulator works. It gets sensing voltage from the amp warning lite and regulates to keep the lite off. Might be an idea to keep the wiring intact to the amp gage. Personally I like the amp gage indication, it tell me how much the alternator is putting out, the volt meter doesn't, it will tell how many volts there are going out but if the voltmeter is indexed right all you will have is an idea, maybe. To give you and idea of what I mean as far as indication is concerned, standard battery voltage, no drain, is 12.5 volts approximatley, charging voltage is usually somewhere between 13.8 and 14.2 volts. Most volt meters/gages don't measure that accurately. But with the ammeter you have a range of -30 amps to +30 amps, that's a whole lot of range to see what's going on with the charging circuit. HTH.

·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply Ron- Yep, I believe it'll need to trigger thru light... that part can stay for now. I primarily don't want to charge battery through the dash anymore. I found an alternator upgrade pic/article (very similar - almost identical to my new one) to steer me straight on the new alt hook ups ... but I think I see a potential for problem for using 10g x 2 for a B+... & why I asked about proper wire size.
http://www.keystonemg.com/tech/alternator-conversion.html
have a look... I dunno ... the guys who this article was meant for have deeper wiring issues than me! I've been busy fitting my clock housing with a voltmeter... done. I've decided to play it safe w/1 10amp lead to solenoid... (BTW- the 2 B+ on amp pigtail are 10g each). Mannnnn, I should've been done w/this hours ago!! Not too much further to go now!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts