Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
ADHESIVE PROBLEM, what to use?

I am having a big problem re-curving my distributor. Not the actual re-curving part but rather finding something that will hold.

I need to get a bit of metal to stick/hold to the top plate that holds the springs in the lower part of the distributor. The plate is made of some kind of iron. I have tried screws, a nut and bolt, a nail, an female electrical connector and a odd shaped small piece of copper. I can use about anything that will hang over the plate about 1/8 of an inch. This piece has to hold rock steady as it will take a constant pounding.

I know (now) just where it has to be blocked out to allow just 36 degrees total advance at 4000 rpms (after some 20 tries I finally got it right). Let me tell you it makes a huge difference in acceleration if the advance is a too much or too little.

My problem is I have tried: glue… solder… glue and solder, cold weld, and every combination of all of those and within 20 miles or so everything I have tried has come apart. What should I do/use???

Any idea is welcome as it came apart on the way home from the garage where i keep it again tonight. I have gotten good at Knowing when that happens. I know when the car hiccups (as the distributor weights do nasty thing to whatever I attempted to stick to the plate when it comes off) it time to pull the distributor again.

Thanks,
Calvin

·
648 Posts
Calvin,

I had the same problem. I wound up making my stop out of a small piece of metal and riviting it to the rotating piece that the weights actually fit on. I shaped it with my Dremal to get the limit I wanted, and then I then coated it with JB weld just to be sure to stop any movement of the piece. My stop hits the pin that weight springs fit on, limiting the amount of travel.

I'm sorry I didn't take pictures.
Bestus,
Jc

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
Riviting...hmm I didn't try that. I just glued and then covered (slathered) the whole thing with JP weld... it did not hold.

I may try to weld and then file it back if i can find someone who will attempt it as everyone has said it is to small for them to work on. Opelbits said take it to a jeweler. I might try that if i don't get it today.

C

1 - 3 of 3 Posts