Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my 70 gt (minus a few small details). I tried to adjust the solex idle and air screws but I can't seem to get the idle to stay at a constant 800 to 1000 rpms, it will idle at 2000 than go to 1000 than climb back up to 2000. Could it be a vaccum leak?, or am I missing something ?. I rebuilt the carb. And it idles at 2000 nicely. Please don't tell me to use the solex as a paper weight, I want to try and keep it. Any info. would be helpful. Thanks, Mike

1,261 Posts
There is a detailed procedure for adjusting the Solex in the FSM. It involves hooking a manometer to the vacuum port to get the correct throttle stop screw adjustment. I could email a copy to you if you like. You can make a manometer with a piece of clear tubing partly filled with water.

· Über Moderator
6,683 Posts
rustbucket said:
Please don't tell me to use the solex as a paper weight, I want to try and keep it.
Actually, with enough concrete inside it, it functions quite nicely as an anchor. Boat, that is...
But seriously (as IF!). Dmcbrass is correct. The key thing on a Solex is to get the throttle plate idle setting correct, and then NEVER touch it again. All the idle speed settings are done with the air speed screw, and idle mixture with the idle mixture screw (actually, it is in the reverse order). But fluctuating idle speeds sounds suspiciously like a vacuum leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.