Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what specific issues you've noticed with purchasing opel gts. Also I've been struggling to find ones for sale near me for a reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Sirsmiley9, the biggest thing is rust, that makes it way into hard to reach places. I am NOT an expert on the rust situation, but I am sure there are members that can give you the information you need. Most selling sites like Craigslist and Ebay tend to over price their cars. Not everyone, but enough to make thing difficult for a new person getting into Opels. Also, there are a lot of used parts available on Ebay, but most are way overpriced. You can probably get a new part from Opel GT Source for less than a used part on Ebay. That's not to say it is the case for all listings, but probably 95% of them. For example, a used speedometer on Ebay, I've seen for $80.00, at OGTS Gill will probably sell you one for under $10.

Hope this helps, and I am sure that other members will chime in on the areas to look for rust and the fair amount that should be paid for a GT.

Bob

·
Vendor
2,566 Posts
Finding the right car at the right price could take a while if you are unwilling to ship the vehicle.
Where are you located, and what is your budget?

·
Opel Key Master
5,001 Posts
Do not get too excited about a car for sale in a consignment dealership like Streetside Classics or Gateway Classics. These cars will look good in pictures, but usually have issues. And GTS come up for sale all the time, you don’t have to get in a rush, but when one pops up, be ready, cause if not...the good ones sell quick

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Just wondering what specific issues you've noticed with purchasing opel gts. Also I've been struggling to find ones for sale near me for a reasonable price.
There is an excellent book out there written by a person who knows GT's inside and out that details just about every aspect you need to know about the GT; short of wading through the thousands of forum topics on this site or worse; learning things on your own as you go, the hard way! Go to the website called Blurb, in the search box, type in Opel GT and it will take you to the book. The author is our own Mr Lundholm, who also does concourse restorations of these little cars and for that, it helps elevate the importance of this car and the marque as a whole. His book contains a lifetime of insiders information that the Factory Service Manual never touched. And it's all in bright, vibrant color.

Nothing beats a good book by your side versus a computer, tablet or laptop, imo. Another book you would want to get ahold of is the Brookland Books Opel GT Workshop Manual, a sort of compilation of the Factory Service Manual. I believe the Brookland Books copy can be had at Opel GT Source (another great source of GT info on their site) and the FSM can be found on Ebay.

Another wealth of information could be had by joining the Opel Motorsport Club; again, a place where lifetimes worth of personal information and experience working on Opels is compiled.

So there ya go! Welcome to the madness. :)

This site's for-sale ads as well as Craigslist is a good starter to find GT's for sale. Good luck!

·
RunOpel
1,228 Posts
That about says it all Mike :yup:
Truly the book Keith wrote is absolutely a great read. I would only add, be patient in your search and good
things will come your way. There is an Opel GT out there and you will land it, just be diligent in your searching
and have lots of patience.

Good luck and look forward to hearing your success story :veryhappy

·
Opeler
250 Posts
It took me about 6 months to locate mine. I was looking for cars in the southern states like Texas and California. I also bought a car from California that was not restored. All of its blemishes were visible. Mine had dents but no rust. Check out my garage here. You'll see when it was brought down to bare metal there was zero rust. I had to replace the battery box because of the acid (OGTS product). Good Luck and be patient.

·
Registered
340 Posts
1. Avoid dealers of all kinds. Period. Be patient. Guys that bought these new are dying (not trying to be crass, just saying). Families are selling them.

2. Honestly assess your own capabilities. For instance, I don't mind doing mechanical work (in fact, it is what I LIKE to do for stress relief), so those issues to bother me. If you have the aptitude, time and tools, that is a huge plus. On the other hand, I CAN do body and paint, but don't enjoy it much. And even a skilled guy will start cussing rust. GIANT PITA. Bottom line, don't buy a car you will need to pay someone to fix. You will be under water before the first repair bill comes in.

which brings me to:

3. The less rust the better. You likely won't find one that didn't rust in the battery tray, and normally, the acid worked its way down and caused some damage to the belly pan. Once again, the less rust the better.

·
RunOpel
1,228 Posts
Yea I agree his GT is beautiful, but $13,000 wow.
If I had that much to spend, it’s well worth the money.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I'd keep the word out there in the Opel groups like you have but you have to give people an Idea of what you're budget is. I got mine by emailing every dealer I knew. One referred me to an older couple that was considering selling . Good luck.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am planning to post mine for sale in March. I have added pictures to my profile. Selling so I can find another project. Will list at $9,500 dollar range after winter projects list is complete.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts