Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone has added a rear window brake light to their GT and if so which one fits the best, looks the best, works the best. And what are the pros and cons. Thanks.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, That is very impressive and certainly could not be missed, by anybody, which is what I am trying to achieve. Thanks for you recommendation and as always a picture is appreciated. Best, Carl

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,468 Posts
I didn't want to stuff anything into my rear window vents or fish a wire from it to the inside of the car, so I found a 18" 3rd brake LED light that aims all the light straight out the back and I mounted it to the roll bar above the rear window inside the car. Works great, super bright.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
I have a wing on my GT and it used bondo to surround it . You can see it on the pictures under "Bobby's Gril" It was not hard tp put in very little bondo and a lot of sanding. The wires to the lights go inside the wing. If you dont have a wing, I would go with Gordo's layout.

Bob

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,468 Posts
I just measured mine and it's 16" long. I could probably fit a 24" one, but then it would stick down a little too much. I have another one that I bought at the same time that sits on stilts and can be hooked into your turn signals. You can have it and adapt it for your use if you want. I swapped out the mounting feet on the one I'm using for simple metal L-brackets and painted them black. There are gazillions of 3rd brake lights on Ebay, I opted for the cheapest to experiment with. I think they were $13 each. Do a search for "Universal 3rd brake light" and hundreds will come up. Flexible strip ones, solid ones like mine, multi-function ones, etc. The hard part is to find what the length of them is, few list the length and only state how many LEDs they have. What I feel is important is that the LED's are directional and shoot all their light straight out the back. If you get "rope" style LED's they may emit their light 360*, which is wasted light. You don't need to light up the inside of your window vents top, bottom, and forward, you want all the light to go rearwards. It's not really a big deal whether you have it on the inside or outside of your car. The inside the vents thing is certainly cool and fishing the wire down so that it comes out the interior side vents ain't so hard. I just chose the inside mounting for it's simplicity. My light actually reflects off the glass a bit and lights up the behind the seats area a bit when I use the brakes. That's sort of cool and sort of annoying at the same time. There's no right or wrong place to mount a 3rd brake light, just try to get one that has directional LEDs that point straight back. Remember: You're adding the 3rd brake light to enhance your visibility when braking, not just for coolness. Your primary focus should be to get the brightest LED strip you can find. This pic shows what I see in my rear view mirror:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was wondering if anyone has added a rear window brake light to their GT and if so which one fits the best, looks the best, works the best. And what are the pros and cons. Thanks.
I bought a third brake light from Watsons Street Works, billet aluminum. They have an assortment. I mounted in on the package tray and angled it slightly upward since the car is so low. Works great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts