Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one I'm getting to installing the seat belts we bought for the gt
I'll have to make a modification to the lower attaching hole on the belt where it attaches to the bottom by the seat (no biggie)
I only had one belt in the car when I bought it and it appeared to basically just get thrown in for whatever reason ( old and nasty)
Any way when I did pull the old one out I noticed there were 2 nylon washers/spacers on the lower attaching points but no where else
Are there supposed to be 2 of these nylon washers/spacers at all contact points of the 3 point belt except the retractor mount ?
And are they also supposed to be at the belt latch mount by the e-brake as well so these parts can swivel
Thank you in advance as the fsm was only appearing to provide torque specs for the belts at 36-48 I believe but no info on installation/remove of these

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Hello every one I'm getting to installing the seat belts we bought for the gt
I'll have to make a modification to the lower attaching hole on the belt where it attaches to the bottom by the seat (no biggie)
I only had one belt in the car when I bought it and it appeared to basically just get thrown in for whatever reason ( old and nasty)
Any way when I did pull the old one out I noticed there were 2 nylon washers/spacers on the lower attaching points but no where else
Are there supposed to be 2 of these nylon washers/spacers at all contact points of the 3 point belt except the retractor mount ?
And are they also supposed to be at the belt latch mount by the e-brake as well so these parts can swivel
Thank you in advance as the fsm was only appearing to provide torque specs for the belts at 36-48 I believe but no info on installation/remove of these
Terry; OGTS has replacement belts that are Modern versions of the roll up, three point seatbelts. I bought a set for my GT, and they work well, Nice to have the roll up, out of the way when they are not being used.

Bob

·
RunOpel
1,274 Posts
That was the first item I purchased from OGTS and installed in my GT. Slight modification but well worth it. The tech notes were very easy to follow. I like the original look, but this was a must with added safety.

Reactions: terrylewisac

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bob and Dan,
But I already bought a set for the car Not from OGTS 90 dollars for one was a bit much for me right now as I used the wife's Christmas gift/money to get the ones I have.
I already did a test mount on one side and they fit good - the mod I'll have to make for the bottom (again no biggie)
I was wondering about the nylon washers
Did you all have those on yours and where were they all located?

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,498 Posts
I'm sure they're just there for anti-vibration purposes. No biggee, they aren't really needed. I've had many different kinds of seat belts in my GT's and never noticed any difference with or without washers.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought so too but when I did the test fit and tightened down the strap hanger on the piller I had to back it out just a hair as it was not wanting to swivel easily

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,498 Posts
I have had to do quite a bit of customizing of seat belts and I recall having to widen the holes for the reason you describe. The bolts MUST be tightened all the way for safety's sake. You can sometimes mix and match oem bolts with the new bolts that come with aftermarket belts.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I gotcha
these didn't come with any hard ware as I planned to use the existing I had which is fine I'll go reevaluate this as it was 10/ 11 at night when I was test fitting
Then I'll report back

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Terry, there are many seat belts that will work, the trick is getting them mounted without having to butcher the car. Most modern belts will work, so there shouldn't be any problems. I got mine from OGTS because they were new, and I know they work. If they didn't, I am sure Gil would make good on them.

Bob

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am no expert but I think the original seat belt bolt has a long non-threaded shank near the head. Using these bolts without the thick rubber washer, the bolt would bottom out and the seat belt would rattle on the bolt. The washer fills the gap and allows for the belt to pivot. Replacing the bolt with a standard fully threaded bolt requires you to clamp up on the seat belt bracket to torque. Not too bad, but the belt won't pivot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts