Opel GT Forum banner

Aftermarket Air Conditioner/heat that will fit in original heat location?

6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  opelgt722002 
#1 ·
Anyone out there have aftermarket air/heat/defroster set up that will fit exactly where our original heater boxes are?? If so I would sure appreciate any info on it like model and where to get it.

Actually anyone who has installed aftermarket set up in their GT at all I would be interested in knowing where and how you installed everything. Pics would be great....

My spare tire area is out of the question as I have that area full with other stuff. Under the rear "seat" are would be ok too....

#2 ·
I installed a Vintage Air mini unit. Sorry the pics aren't very clear. But it required cutting the bottom out of the stock heater box mount, making all the required mounts and modifing the outlets on the Vintage Air unit. Due to all the other mods I made and the desire for dash vents as well as easy access to the heat and air unit if needed, it was easier for me to make a whole new dash. But if you were going to recover it anyway the stock one could be used and modifed similar to mine for the needed clearance. I can say this, it was certainly worth all the work!

Attachments

#3 ·
There is not a unit available that wouldn't require any modification as far as the dash or the heater box sheetmetal size. The one above is close, but I have no desire to cut out my dashboard. I have an additional problem is the cars that want A/C also have the dual side draft throttle bodies and the heaterbox is even smaller. Lots of topics on this already here, use the Google search feature and read all you would ever want to on this subject.

#4 · (Edited)
I have an additional problem is the cars that want A/C also have the dual side draft throttle bodies and the heaterbox is even smaller.
Keith, if you ever manage to put A/C with dual side drafts, I will be the first to follow you.:yup:
Hope you will post information as always.

Have you ever thought of building kind of alternator/compressor tandem on the same shaft? That would position compressor behind the alternator. They don't have to be literally on the same shaft, just coupled together. It would require alternator shaft to be extended at the back and likely double V-belt or serpentine belt. Just an idea...

#7 ·
The Vintage Air mini is pretty narrow. I don't know how much of the heater box needs to be cut away for webers, but if memory serves I think you could easily cut away a couple of inches from the upper part of the box and still have room to fit the mini unit in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.