Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Nardi steering wheel and adapter for the car the other day. The problem is now that I can't figure out how to attach the adapter to the steering column? :confused: Has anyone here put an aftermarket wheel on? How did you go about doing it?

·
184 Posts
I have a Momo "Race" aftermarket steering wheel on my GT. I removed the original steering wheel (fixing the damaged horn contacts in the process) and the hub adaptor connected up to the where the OEM steering wheel was with no problem. The Momo steering wheel then bolted up to the hub adaptor. Pretty straight forward, I'd think other manufactures would do the same thing.

I guess you have the Opel steering wheel off and you're saying the Nardi hub adaptor doesn't match up? Was the hub adaptor you have identified as being for the Opel GT?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, ok. I think I know how to install the adapter but have hit a road block. The adapter has two metal locating tabs and a splined middle hole. Looking at the steering column, it has the holes and the splines center as well, except there's a silver metal piece sitting exactly where the adapter is supposed to go. I tried pulling it out with vice grips, but it doesn't want to budge. I might have to just cut it out with a dremel or a cutting torch.

·
Opeler
36 Posts
Here's to jumping in the deep end without my water wings; I got a momo wheel and adapter from EBay, and finally got a puller today and installed the wheel. Well, before I installed it, I remembered reading this thread, and so I promptly broke off the metal tab that extends from the bottom of the new hub. After getting everything on and tight, I took it for a ride, and realized that I probably should have just checked clearances before knocking this tab off: It seems to have been the piece required to turn off the turn signals after a turn. =(

Oh well, I can either find a new adapter, or I'm sure that I can modify the broken one to have something that clicks off the signals.

·
Opeler
36 Posts
It matches to an extent. The splines on the steering shaft are shorter than the protruding shaft as a whole, and the adapter I got with the wheel doesn't allow for this. The splines match up just fine, but the adapter doesn't come all the way down to the rest of the column, leaving about a half inch gap between the adapter and the column housing. I don't like that very much, but the difference between this wheel and the original, cracked steering wheel is astounding. I felt more in control of the car with a thicker steering wheel. I figure I can find another adapter of the same type, leave the tab in for the blinker shut-off, and fashion a sleeve for that gap from a new shifter boot or something like it. Shouldn't look too bad.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Taavetti said:
The splines match up just fine, but the adapter doesn't come all the way down to the rest of the column, leaving about a half inch gap between the adapter and the column housing. I don't like that very much, but the difference between this wheel and the original, cracked steering wheel is astounding.
I have the same exact problem, is there a cure for this or is that the way it works? I've been trying to knock it down a bit with a hard rubber mallet and a deep socket positioned around the center shaft. It won't budge any further. Jeez, I might make a metal "beauty ring" to cover the 1/2" gap. Man that's annoying. Although the distance to the wheel in the seated position is just fine. Hmmm.....

~k

·
Senior Contributor
5,083 Posts

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Nardi Wheel

I have a nardi, it fits fine, but you will have to break off the ears on the back, for the turn signal return...anyway mine was on the car when I got it.

there must be an opel hub, because mine fits perfectly on the splined opel shaft.

when i got my car , it had no center hut. this center shaft is soft...breaks easily! but also taps easily. I later replaced it with a new column, an i twisted off the center nut myself..easy to do

Attachments

·
Opel Addicts
2,476 Posts
I have Nardi Steering wheels on 3 of our cars. I found that the adapter fits pretty well. Be careful of 2 things. 1) when you install the new wheel make sure that your tires are pointing straight ahead, and 2) If 1 is done correctly, the tab on the back that turns off the direction signal needs to be at 6 o'clock to work the best.

As far as the 1/2" gap goes, simply pull the palstic cover down until it covers that gap. no one will ever see the gap at the top of the plastic.

We really like our Nardi wheels, and Melanie is a great person to deal with.

:cool:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Can anyone tell me where I can get a MOMO adapter for a GT? I have searched the web, and Ebay, and here (many posts say they are chicken lips).

I have a nice MOMO wheel, but no adapter (except a Chevy one)

·
Senior Contributor
5,083 Posts
go to the web site I mentioned above, I believe they have a momo adaptor. If it isn't listed call them.

·
Registered
521 Posts
saxybiker said:
We really like our Nardi wheels, and Melanie is a great person to deal with.

:cool:

Is that "Melanieone" on Ebay? She's the one I got my adapter from.

Cool, I'll try the "slide the plastic sleeve down" idea. :)

I have to say the car feels COMPLETLY different with a "fat" leather wheel installed. Not only that but it feels much more safe and stable.

·
Opel Addicts
2,476 Posts
Yes, she's the one. I really like dealing with her because she seems to be very concerned with serving her customers. If you have a problem (or need a new adapter) she'll help.

We really like the feel of the thicker wheels. It's a great upgrade.

BTW - if you need to pull the adapter, you'll need to pull that plastic sleeve off first, then use a "gear" puller to get the adapter off, as there are no holes for the standard steering wheel puller to attach to.

Allen :cool:

·
427 Posts
I don't suppose anyone here might know the part # for the MOMO steering wheel adapter? I got my new wheel and hub adapter in the mail today, but the adapter they sent was not correct. I called them up and they said that was what is listed for Opel, so I am hoping that I might be able to call them back with the correct part # if anyone still has their box or invoice.
TIA,
Brett

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Brett;
I just got one for the wife's Sportwagon from Melinaone. The number on it is "5203" I have a Nardi wood steering wheel mounted to it. Works great!
Gene

·
Senior Contributor
874 Posts
Ok now, if you want to do it the cheaper way, I have had 3 GT's and every one had the wood all broken off the wheel. My first one I did in college, so had no $$$. I slit a length of 1/2" heater hose and wrapped it over the steel wheel, then wrapped it tight with a leather steering wheel cover from any autoparts store. It is nicely cushioned and nice and thick. I liked the results of the first one so well, even now that I can afford more, it is what I am used to!

·
Super Moderator
14,174 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with this hub adapter? Will it fit a GT? Does it have turn signal cancelling tabs? How does the horn wire connect?

eBay Motors: Luisi Steering Wheel Hub Adapter For Opel No S&H (item 170187877178 end time Jan-29-08 06:53:52 PST)

Thanks!
I have a racing Luisi wheel for my Manta. But since I have a quick release, I therefore have no hub adapter.

Caution should be exercised however, as the Luisi bolt pattern was different than Momo and Sparco (still six bolt, but a different spacing).

Bob

·
531 Posts
From the picture, it looks like it will fit a least 2 different 6 bolt patterns, as there are 12 holes. I'm using a Personal wheel and hub myself, so I'm not sure which pattern I have, but perhaps there are only two possibilities out of the brands listed in the ad?
To see the turn signal cancelling tabs (or not), I believe you would need to see the other end of the hub.

jtb

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with this hub adapter? Will it fit a GT? Does it have turn signal cancelling tabs? How does the horn wire connect?

eBay Motors: Luisi Steering Wheel Hub Adapter For Opel No S&H (item 170187877178 end time Jan-29-08 06:53:52 PST)

Thanks!
I have this hub on my wife's Wagon, and it will fit a GT, it has the cancelling tab and there is a single wire for the horn button, which you can order from the same seller, or go to Ebay for. This adaptor is also drilled and tapped for both MOMO and NARDI/PERSONAL steering wheels. RAID out of Germany I think will also fit.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts