Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone can understand this, here it goes: a 97 Vectra, 1.7 TD, mint condition, a garage, and a father (my father) up for trouble. Aparently, with the engine running, he pulled out A L L the fuses, and the dash went dead for a while, until he put everything back on. Then all the check were performed, and all the warning lights went off, however, the AIR-BAG came back on. Since then when you start the car, it goes off with all the others, and then comes back on. We are in Bulgaria, and there is no way to get a singleminded answer on how to proceed with this. There might be someone who can do the electronic diagnosis trick, but before that, I would like to ask the OPEL PEOPLE, what could I do to get that air-bag back on track? Is this a cosmetic problem or did the power outage screw it up pretty bad and will need dealer attention (for which we would have to go to Greece)?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
It sounds like you have a electronic problum with the air-bag. I would not mess with the air-bag, it is controled by a computer program and various sensors. Your father may have fried (broke) one of the sensors when he pulled all the fuses or when he put the fuses back in he put in the wrong AMP for the air-bag sensors either way it is something for a person that knows your car should look at and get fixed. HTH

·
1,807 Posts
You will have to clear the air bag code .. ( low voltage to cluster ) etc,
the dealer will be your best choice for this sys. ( you always go for safety
first ) no major damage to air bag or module , but they can scan the sys.
:eek: try to find another hobby for your father .. hope this helps ..
I have training in this sys. & repairs ..

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Aircraft trick.....
Engine NOT running,disconnect the battery, go have a cup of coffee, reconnect the battery. We call it a power-down reset. ;)
This may make the computer re-set itself for the airbag sensors.
FYI, it's a really bad thing on a modern car with all the electronics to be removing fuses with the engine running...could get you into all sorts of poo (worse than you are already).
Check you have the stereo code before you do this :eek:
HTH, Rob.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rionart said:
Aircraft trick.....
Engine NOT running,disconnect the battery, go have a cup of coffee, reconnect the battery. We call it a power-down reset. ;)
This may make the computer re-set itself for the airbag sensors.
FYI, it's a really bad thing on a modern car with all the electronics to be removing fuses with the engine running...could get you into all sorts of poo (worse than you are already).
Check you have the stereo code before you do this :eek:
HTH, Rob.
was about to say the same thing except wait a litle longer...
you work whit aircrafts?? im i school, educating to become a avionics person (not quite shure what its in english) :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Query

what is so great about opels and OPEL AG. that gets all of you buzzed?

I have the same thing with theVW/AUDI AG. Only I think I got it reversed-can't look at old models, but stare in awe at the new, more sophisticated, more efficient, and progressive ones.

What are Opel good at? Being a part of GM, aren't they a little confined?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
ILIYAN said:
what is so great about opels and OPEL AG. that gets all of you buzzed?

I have the same thing with theVW/AUDI AG. Only I think I got it reversed-can't look at old models, but stare in awe at the new, more sophisticated, more efficient, and progressive ones.

What are Opel good at? Being a part of GM, aren't they a little confined?
First.. Unlike the VW/Audi the Opel is not currently in the USA.

Second.. Most of the cars that are talked about are the older 1969 to 1973 Opel GT's (and other models ie Manta, Kaddet...) that came to the US (and other parts of the world). The cars were/are simple to work on. The shade tree mech, can work on them without having to go to a computer to check/adjust the timing or have go to school to work under the hood (bonnet).

Third... The GT's, Manta's, Kaddets's and other's of that era are cool looking cars. You do not get the same response from the general public with a VW/Audi as you do an Opel of that era.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rick from Atlanta

Yes, whatever rocks your boat. I asked that question because I am interested to find out what it does to your senses or to you mind or whatever, worshiping older opels. I have lived in the US and know that european cars are quite exclusive compared to the rest, but does not a car have a certain life-span beyond which it is to be recycled? No matter how much I love audi for whatever reasons, it is not the particular car that I attach my sympathy to, but the whole line, all the facts that make up the brand.I had the privilege to drive an 2002 A6 Quattro 2.5 TDI, the reason I liked it was that it included all the previous models in it. A symbiosis of the previous A6s, the 100s, and earlier models. My point is that there is something missing in the image of a 60s ot 70s car. It lacks the sophistication that time has given to newer inventions. I have researched Opel AG (more recent though) and feel that the GM cap they are under is hindering them greatly.

·
Registered
213 Posts
ILIYAN said:
Yes, whatever rocks your boat. I asked that question because I am interested to find out what it does to your senses or to you mind or whatever, worshiping older opels. I have lived in the US and know that european cars are quite exclusive compared to the rest, but does not a car have a certain life-span beyond which it is to be recycled? No matter how much I love audi for whatever reasons, it is not the particular car that I attach my sympathy to, but the whole line, all the facts that make up the brand.I had the privilege to drive an 2002 A6 Quattro 2.5 TDI, the reason I liked it was that it included all the previous models in it. A symbiosis of the previous A6s, the 100s, and earlier models. My point is that there is something missing in the image of a 60s ot 70s car. It lacks the sophistication that time has given to newer inventions. I have researched Opel AG (more recent though) and feel that the GM cap they are under is hindering them greatly.
I would never buy a new car if it weren't just to get me from a to b, in which case i wouldn't look at it any differently than i would a new toaster or mobile phone. i wouldn't care what color it is, what make it is, or what useless new features it has, all it has to do is work.

an old car is part of you, i don't drive my opel, i wear it, its got sentimental value, and in so many yeras, each has become unique and inreplacable.
besides opels today are not half as good quality as they were in 68' .

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
Sven said:
I would never buy a new car if it weren't just to get me from a to b, in which case i wouldn't look at it any differently than i would a new toaster or mobile phone. i wouldn't care what color it is, what make it is, or what useless new features it has, all it has to do is work..
I am starting to think about the same as you. I used to be into opels and an assortment of modern cars but more and more I am slipping away from the modern stuff. I need to find a new daily driver and in the past I would have been thinking of a newer(mid 90's) BMW or Jag I am now starting to think about just finding the cheapest beater that will get me to work (found a nice 86 prelude for $600). While all my friends are talking about their new M3's and 350Z's my mind slips away and I start dreaming of my next GT.

(warning, short quasi off topic story)

I have a 90' corvette but it's really no fun to work on. The electrical system is a nightmare (and I minored in Electrical Engineering), and the thing breaks down more than my GT's ever did. I drove my GT to Alabama on a whim (700mi) and the new owner drove it to Nevada (1800mi). I wouldn't drive the corvette across town unless I knew that someone was available to pick me up if it broke down. Case in point, last year the car started dieing on the road like the alternator was bad. I replaced, seemed ok then died on the highway. I replaced the battery, still died. Car sat in my garage for almost a year before I decided to give it another whirl. I proceeded to delve into the coma-inducing electrical repair manual (which by the way is a supplementary 400page book to the regular shop manual). I checked every loop possible, pulled fuses and relays to see if the problem went away. Finally decided that there was no way anything was pulling that much juice from the charging system and not blowing the fuse of it’s circuit. So I go to autozone and have them check the alt, guy tells me it's working good. I was convinced that was the problem so I took it to another autozone and the girl tells me it IS broken. They look it up on the computer and my warranty ran out TWO DAYS prior. DOH!!!! I drop another $150 on the alt. Then when I am putting it in the Mattel-grade aluminum alt bracket cracks in half as I am tightening the bolt. GREAT. So I drop another $60 for the bracket + 49 for express overnight shipping (moving in two days and I have to be able to drive the car). If it wasn't for the fact that my dad passed away and left me this car it would have been sold a long time ago and a primo GT bought in it's place.

/rant

·
1,807 Posts
sorry to hear about the corvette problems , I may be able to help p.m.
me with info. . :)

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Ghaaaaa! Zen and the Art of GT Rebirth .......

ILIYAN said:
Yes, whatever rocks your boat. I asked that question because I am interested to find out what it does to your senses or to you mind or whatever, worshiping older opels. I have lived in the US and know that european cars are quite exclusive compared to the rest, but does not a car have a certain life-span beyond which it is to be recycled?
YES! GTs have a certain "life span" after which they are recycled - by spending LOTS of money and love on them to restore them to far better than their original glory! The ones that sadly pass away are carefully dismantled and the parts used to keep other little beauties alive.
"Worshiping older Opels" is, to some poor souls, regarded as obsessive madness
BUT in reality it is a "Zen" experience - transcendentally mind altering and a reflection of all higher things .........

HTH - beyond help myself on Opel overload! :D

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Thanx Jim, I resemble that a bunch. Here's a thing to ponder, why spend up to $60K for a car that everybody drives, has all the bells and whistles that everyone wants but don't or can't use, when for an amount far less you can be driving a dependable, almost one-of-a-kind Opel that will get more than its' share of stares, thumbs up, and what is it?, comments. Now that in itself is worth more than $60K, IMHO. :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.