Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The air filter that I got with my 72 GT is a Lucas 8268 and I found somewhere that a Mann C1555/6 would fit. I never seen these names in my area. I was wondering if there is a Fram filter number that would fit the stock air cleaner.
I'm using the PH966B Fram oil filter.
I planned on using the splitfire plug SF412C but I don't know if I should go with .030 or what. Champion RL954C, Denso 3070 and W20FPRU at .030. Do any of these numbers sound right? I found that Autolite plug wire set 86411 would work. Lastly for the dist cap I found that Standard #GB423 or GB423X (heavyduty) will fit. I ordered one from OPELGT.com though.
I found this info at different web sites and have only tried the oil filter so far.
Any comments or corrections would be great.

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
rich72gt said:
..... I ordered one from OPELGT.com
I guess that would be OpelGTSource.com. OpelGT.com is just this Opel information website.

I have not heard too many good things about the Splitfires. I usually stick with Bosch plugs. German car, German plugs. but that's just me.;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Splitfire alternative??

I just read this post and thought I would pass along my two cents worth. I think the GT seems to have a little more "pep" with the splitfires compared to the conventional plugs. I am currently running a set of splitfires in my '70 GT 1.9L that were listed for a late 60's Chevy small block V8(283,327,etc). If anyone wants to know, I'll get the part numbers off of them and post it here. They are the large 13/16 plug like the origional GT's and may be a little easier to come by than the sf412c. I had these plugs laying around for a few years, so I'm not sure on the current availability, but this might be worth checking into for someone wanting to run the splitfires. Hope this info helps.

John

·
Registered
141 Posts
Opels are the only cars I've ever owned (outta 40+) that eat sparkplugs. Electrode wear on my '73 was always considerable.

Best plugs (IMHO) are Bosch Plats; they make for a noticable improvment in idle quality and off-idle performance. Dunno what factory spec is, but I've long gapped them at 0.028 - 0.029". This may be a little narrower than stock - I believe it makes up for all the wear and tear (and the variability introduced) by an aging ignition system.

A stocker ignition system puts all of about 17.5Kv to the electrode, whereas an electronic system supplemented with an aftermarket coil can produce upwards of 35Kv. This allows you to 'spread the gap', and provide the opportunity to light off more mix.

Splitfires provide multiple spark paths; whilethey may work, I've not trusted their overall quality - not unlike Champions. Sucky sparkplugs, they are, Champeens. Bosc makes three variants of the platinum, with one, two, three, and FOUR spark paths. Dunno if the +4 is available for the GT, but the Catera's pretty happ with them.

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
I've had super luck with Bosch Platinums for street Opels, and NGK's for hot street and racing applications. I tried Splitfires, and melted the electrode off one cylinder at the track. I swapped them out for a used set of Bosch's, and ran the rest of the day without any problems. All the other Splitfires I removed had 'warmed over' electrodes, they looked like they would have eventually melted too. I'll stay away from the Splitfires, thank you!
Keeping in mind I've NEVER melted an electrode with any other plug, you might want to reconsider.

Bob

·
Registered
141 Posts
You go, Bob!

Been suspect of the config of the plug since day one...

My background is thermodynamics and fluid flow. The design of the Split-Fire is such that there is inadequate area for heat dissipation in the insulator - I've always suspected the electrode ran hot!

Gimmick plugs. Maybe they work okay on mild street apps, but I KNOW what Bosch plats do. Been runnin' them since '89 with NO probs whatsoever.

·
Opeler
94 Posts
air filters

I found a Wix filter that fits the original can I'll have to get the part number. This is for my 70 with the factory housing,1.9.

supposedly a Fram CA179APL works as well as a Beck/Arnley 042-0547. These are for a 70GT

For a 72 my sources say the Beck listed above works as well as a Pennzoil PZA-4 and Fram CA189, K&N E-2340. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
69 Posts
So, do you guys really think the splitfires will hold up in a stock 1.9L with everyday street use? I understand how they could fail under racing or high HP conditions, but would this problem hold true for a street driven engine? Just wondering if I should pull the splitfires out and go with a good Bosch platinum or something. Thanks again for the excellent as always info. :D

John

·
Registered
141 Posts
John-

If they're working okay right now - leave 'em in and opt for the plats at the next change.

The reason they didn't hold up in Bob's car has to do with heat dissipation - they're not designed to handle the application Bob put them into. Much hotter service.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Everybody uses the Bosch Platinums for good reason, Rich. The number is WR7BP, recommended gap .030". Bosch "4 pack" order number is 4232. About $1.99 each at Checker, Kragen, etc.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the info Chuck. I'll probably keep them in it until the next plug change, but I'll try to keep an eye on them at oil changes and such, just to make sure they are not getting overheated. Then I'll opt for the Bosch plugs after that run. Maybe I could use this as a long term test on the reliability of splitfires in a street engine........just in case others want to know how they work over time! :D

Thanks again,
John

·
Registered
62 Posts
I know what not to use

Well, I can't find a part I can use... but I can tell you which parts don't work..

Advanced Auto Parts.. Listing Fram Air Filter CA189 for stock GT.. WRONG!!! The CA189 is a standard 10" therebouts round filter about 2" in height.
I read elsewhere in this thread that the Fram 179a may be the right air filter. Advanced did not show the CA179a for the 71 and up GT, but they did show it for a '70 GT.. Go figure. They show the Purolator Cross reference for the Fram CA179a to be A30064. I don't know if this is right or not.. If you know, please let me know.. Advanced Auto Parts showing a 14 day delivery of said Purolator Air Filter.

Advanced Auto Parts.. Listing for an ignition coil for Stock GT part number 24-5032. GP Sorensen Part... WRONG!!! It may work, I don't know. I didn't try after finding out that said coil was physically to small in diameter to properly mount into stock coil bracket.

Hope my pain helps someone ;-)

·
Super Moderator
8,170 Posts
Oil WIX 51374 GT
Oil WIX 51364 Manta/Ascona
Air WIX 42157 GT
Air WIX 46015 Manta/Ascona
Fuel WIX 33032
Fuel WIX 33040 w/return

O'Reilly's carries WIX, NAPA's filters are made by WIX, just drop the first number when asking for the filter.

HTH,
Harold

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,911 Posts
Ford Oil Filters on Opels

As a BTW for everybody, we started using standard Ford oil filters (like the Fram PH8A) on 1.9L Opel Mantas/Asconas for rallying for years; they are a direct fit. The fit under the engine and to the sump guard is a bit problematic (tight), and you need to watch out for bumping into high things like parking lot concrete strips if your car is low. We solved this in rallying by using standard Ford remote oil filter mounts, with the filter going up on the passenger side inner fender. This set-up adds a lot of oil and cooling capacity.

Dunno if the Ford filter does not have some feature that the stock filter has, like an anti-drainback valve or bypass, but we never had any engine oiling issues at start-up or otherwise. Of course we changed the oil and filters a lot.

Regards,
Mark B.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts