Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine came out of Canon City just fine. The two pilots of the plane helped me load up.

The one door is a reinforced 73 that road in the aisle of the Citation jet.

The back panel will be in my basement.

Leo says that something is always broke on the companies 13 million dollar plane. I laoded thing s up in my wifes suburban. Shipping was free as no one told the boss. Man do I have good friends such as Dave Grant and Leo the pilot. Dve drove the parts to the Pueblo airport for free too..I think!

Sunday I am putting on a 71 manta finned oil pan at my friends shop ..my diptick tube is broken..
You cant weld to AL? We got to figure something out...advise as needed

Getting the car ready for Carlisle

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Finned Pan

This is a rare Item I picked up from a club member . Its rare. A finned pan from a 71 manta. I am putting it on the new engine.

Attachments

·
583 Posts
Special treatment.

Just a word of caution. Hope that you changed the oil pick up when you went to that Manta finned aluminum pan. The aluminum pan has a specific pickup. It differs from the Manta steel pan or the GT aluminum pan. The aluminum pans are also more prone to leak because of the differing expansion rates of the metals, aluminum of the pan vs iron block.

You can weld aluminum, but it must be super clean and welded on low power.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
Dave's right, the aluminum pans use a specific pil pickup tube, they don't interchange.

Also, be very cautious tightening the pan to the block rails, they crack very easily. I stay away from aluminum pans because they are problematic.

Bob

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Me personally I hate the steel pans and always have better luck with the aluminum ones. Dean you should be able to use the tube from the black pan. I do believe I have the key for those door handles too.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the input

David McCollam said:
The aluminum pan has a specific pickup. It differs from the Manta steel pan or the GT aluminum pan. .

You can weld aluminum, but it must be super clean and welded on low power.

Good luck.
when I read this today, i quickly called OGTS to order the pickup...ogts said

AL to AL is fine, whether gt or manta

steel gt to AL manta or gt is bad.

So as I understand from OGTS: If your gt has AL(aluminum) pan now..it has the proper pick up for the AL manta pan.

So my current gt and the new engine both have AL...either will accept the MAnta AL pan.

Dave: In shipment the new engine got turned on its side and cracked the oil dip stick tube that enters the oil pan...i can steal the one out of my curent engine if needed...

that why i post so i can get several angles on the problem before I make a mistake

so ogts said..."bolt up the finned pan"

·
Registered
30 Posts
With regards to the broken dipstick tube, perhaps you should file a complaint with the shipping company. ;) Was Leo doing some barrel rolls on the way back from CO?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Dean if you pull the remains from the pans and send them here I'll fix you up. The tubes are steel and easy to fix or make new. Don't forget to get a new dipstick rubber piece from OGTS. I'm out of the NOS ones here but they are cheap. Almost forgot to mention that all the pan gaskets are new so if your careful removing the black one then you might not even need new ones.

And now we can do postal for the head gasket, fuel pump, block off plate, graphics, meter and secondary oil bypass that I didn't get to. And I found the key for those door handles too. And the degreed front pulley.

That motor is one of my better builds and was done with side drafts in mind. the rings are seated and now it's just bolt in and go.

I'll send you the tool I use to prime the oil system too.

Celeste is looking to be a Colorado car or at least happier for the Colorado connection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts