Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Fellow Gt'ers.
I've just finished rebuilding my GT for the second time in 25 years!. I think we did a better job than in 1995 or at least I hope so. Parts are certainly (in principal) easier to come by. Anyway, the Spare wheel and jack has always been a bit of a problem with my car. I mean, it slides in, but I can't seem to ever work out how the wheel is meant to be held in place or where the funny (& original) jack is meant to fit in around it. The whole lot should be bolted or clicked into place with ???????
Has anyone got a photograph of how it all works. Can't find it anywhere.
Thanks, and nice to be back here so many years later.

mark, amsterdam. :veryhappy

·
Über Genius
9,256 Posts
Greetings Fellow Gt'ers.
I've just finished rebuilding my GT for the second time in 25 years!. I think we did a better job than in 1995 or at least I hope so. Parts are certainly (in principal) easier to come by. Anyway, the Spare wheel and jack has always been a bit of a problem with my car. I mean, it slides in, but I can't seem to ever work out how the wheel is meant to be held in place or where the funny (& original) jack is meant to fit in around it. The whole lot should be bolted or clicked into place with ???????
Has anyone got a photograph of how it all works. Can't find it anywhere.
Thanks, and nice to be back here so many years later.

mark, amsterdam. :veryhappy
Do you have the stock jack and spare tire hold down hardware?

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,866 Posts
The original jack is the screw type with the rod that fits into the tube in the body, isn't it? That type puts a lot of stress on those tubes welded to the body and I've experienced them tear the tube right off the car.

I've always thrown those away and used the rolling hydraulic lever type. I don't like scissor type jacks. Yeah, I have to make a new way to hold the rolling lever type jack in place when I carry it in the car, but they're a much better more versatile design than the original and you can use them in all sorts of different places on the car. How about using a bottle jack instead?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All about the jack.

You picture is 'great'. If this is your spare wheel configuration, I can imagine the detail you have gone to with the rest!

Clearly, I don't have the original screw jack, mine is more of a small scissor, nor do I have any of the wheel rod fittings shown in your picture. OK....., I will have to make a make shift, but original, mine is definitely not!. Thank you again for solving the 25 years mystery. Now I know.

Mark

·
1000 Post Club
4,110 Posts
Just a small trivia item. Some jacks have the ball on the end of the handle, other have a barrel shaped cylinder.

·
Opeler
3,044 Posts
Not sure what Opel was thinking when they designed the GT jack.
Jack could tilt, causing the GT to fall while changing a tire.
I would search for a safer scissor jack (or telephone roadside assistance).

·
1000 Post Club
4,110 Posts
The same jack was used in the Manta.

If you don't set the parking brake, watch out!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
They make low profile and also telescoping ram bottle jacks that work on almost any type of vehicle, be it low slung or jacked. They are fast and much safer than most original equipment and take up little room.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
There are 2 braces in the spare tire area 1 is in the center rear, that bolts to the shelf and to a brace under the rear window. The other bolts on the left side of the tray at the wheel well area. This secures the tire metal brace, along with the wing nut hold down in the front of the tray. I never had any problems with the stock jack as long as your jacking points are not all rusted. If you use another jacking point I would carry a block of wood to distribute to weight. Good luck

Attachments

·
Über Genius
9,256 Posts
There is a spare tire hold down assembly for sale on US EBay right now. With a $30 buy it now price it might be an option if you can find someone to ship it to you.

·
1000 Post Club
4,110 Posts
I probably have the entire assembly that I could send you for free, but it is bulky and shipping would be expensive. Let me know if you want it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys (and Gals), firstly a big big thank you from Amsterdam. You are all serious annals and I think that is great!...... I never imagined. I'm already in for €10.5K on this second restoration and I think I have to stop somewhere. At least now I know how the system was designed (or put together). If the car breaks, I've got a membership for a decent call out firm, no problem. I'm using a nylon rope tie calm which keeps the wheel in place. There are still a few parts missing, but I need to source them in the EU, because balky stuff is expensive to ship across the pond. Thanks a million once again, question has been more than perfectly answered.

Now for a Smoke......... ahh, chill.

MH, Amsterdam :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts