Opel GT Forum banner

All of a sudden... Sluggish

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  nobody 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I had a strange occurrence happen yesterday Which is puzzling me & I am hopeful that the group can put me in the right direction.

My 72 GT has always run very smoothly without any hesitation. Yesterday evening, she started up fine and I drove across town to pick up my daughter about 2 miles from my house. I waited about a 1/2 hour for her to be finished & left the car idling while I talked to some other parents. When I got back in the car to go home, the car noticibly lost power & sputtered all the way home. This morning when I started her again, she still sputtered.

Any thoughts to help me set up my weekend project would be greatly appreciated.

Bad Gas?
Spark Plugs?
Timing?
Fuel Line?
Drop the Gas tank?

:mad:
Thanks for any input.
Marc

See less See more
#5 ·
Marc

After you check the plugs, check the points for the correct gap

If you are using the petronix, remove it and put points back in and see if it solves the problem.

How's the fuel supply? Fuel filter clogged?

Just a couple of thoughts

Jeff

#6 ·
Thank You All...

Got home from work & pulled the spark plugs. All 4 were dirty, but the one closest to the firewall was so bad, I'm amazed this didn't happen sooner.

Cleaned the plugs & regapped & she purrs like a kitten.

Ran out to the local auto parts store & picked up some NGK BP6HS to install in the AM.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Marc
:D

#9 ·
I started to mention this but since you found it, this is just another idea that can make them act like a dog. My wagon has the vacuum secondary on the solex. It never opens and boy does it run poorly. I've got a mechanical one for it....for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.