Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
I participated in this two-day event last May (just after installing the
Compufire, btw, Gary).

Basically, it's a 500-mile route winding from Sacramento to Lake Tahoe and back, along some very "driver-friendly" backroads. There were around 25 vintage cars entered in this inaugural event. Each team receives a detailed route map that is divided into "stages" …converging into rendezvous points for food, fuel, sightseeing, and repairs. At the end of the first day, we all end up back at the group motel for bench racing and alcohol consumption late into the night. Then it's up in the morning for the final stages and the dash to the evening's banquet. While not an actual race, I was making good time amongst the top four speed demons …until my co-driver accidentally skipped calling three turns and decided to make up directions without telling me. To get back on course, we wound up backtracking fast down deserted roads that are hard to describe. I'm not sure what purpose these flat dirt stretches serve since they're in the middle of nowhere and don't seem to lead anyplace. But the roads are wide open with fields and marsh on both sides, and they snake through the northern California countryside. So by the time we arrived at the banquet, there were already a bunch of classic sportscars surrounding the restaurant. In the end, we met alot of cool people, enjoyed some amazing little known scenery, and drove fast with some really nice old cars.

I'll also be doing the California Melee again in a few weeks.... this rallye is more enthusiast-oriented. Three days and 1100 miles or so... and some of the roads can barely be called roads. I mean... picture a shiny red Aston Martin DB4 convertible powersliding all the way up a STEEP, hairpin-filled, gravel fireroad. Also amongst the fifty entrants last year was a SWEET Bertone-bodied Alfa Giulietta (driven by a writer for Sports Car International). Old cars being driven hard on "public" roads... like something out of the Fifties (except not sanctioned).

Btw, while at the OMC picnic this year, RallyBob gave me the idea to enter the Silver State Challenge (a legal road event). While I've known about the Challenge for many years, entering somehow didn't quite register with me before... guess I'd forgotten how close I live to Nevada now! It's too late to make this September's event, but I should be ready for the spring run. Check it out at http://www.silverstateclassic.com Looks like a blast!

...gotta go figure out gearing now.

Walter

Uh oh! Cops...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,151 Posts
PROPEL said:
Btw, while at the OMC picnic this year, RallyBob gave me the idea to enter the Silver State Challenge (a legal road event). While I've known about the Challenge for many years, entering somehow didn't quite register with me before... guess I'd forgotten how close I live to Nevada now! It's too late to make this September's event, but I should be ready for the spring run. Check it out at http://www.silverstateclassic.com Looks like a blast!
Hmmm, I have the perfect sponsorship opportunity for you. Call up Gatorade, and tell them you'd like some money and product to help you run the Silver State Classic....it can get hot in the desert after all. And don't ask for Gatorade, but rather their new 'Propel' fitness water they sell. It's a match made in heaven Walter! Don't laugh until you ask.....my friend got a Sam Adam's beer sponsorship for his rally car just by making a proposal to them.

Bob

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
....my friend got a Sam Adam's beer sponsorship for his rally car just by making a proposal to them.

So did he do it for the sponsorship money... or for the "product"? :D
Great idea! (so long as I won't have to trailer a cooler filled with Propel)

Btw, there is an Opel GT that regularly runs the Silver State Classic in the 95mph target class... winning and placing high over the past years. I'm thinking of doing the 115 target. Would like to do the 120, but I'm unsure of my engine's horsepower output at the moment. Tech speed for both groups is 140mph (requiring at least [email protected] with 3.90's, 23.8" tires, and getrag). Want to attain the highest trap speed possible under 140mph... but still average at the chosen target speed for the 90 mile course... all without dropping 30mph under the target (disqualification).

Chances I can do this and still place? Slim to none... mostly 'cause I stink at math (especially at 120mph). Can anybody recommend a good rally trip computer? ...or perhaps a navigator who can calculate flight plans? :p

Will still be fun.

Walter

·
Super Moderator
14,151 Posts
PROPEL said:
So did he do it for the sponsorship money... or for the "product"? :D

Can anybody recommend a good rally trip computer? ...or perhaps a navigator who can calculate flight plans? :p
Well, originally he did it for the money, but didn't get a whole lot. So we are pretty happy (driver and crew) with the product....
We also get Red Bull energy drink for free and he just got a sponsorship with Boston Smokehouse Sausage, so we'll be barbecuing with style next year!

If you are serious about running your car, I will loan you my Brantz rally computer. It's very easy to use, and is an LED unit (not LCD), so you can see it in the sunlight AND at night. Brand new in the box, with a magnetic wheel sensor. I've used the Brantz when I was the co-driver in my friend's rallycar, it is really user-friendly.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
14,151 Posts
PROPEL said:
Tech speed for both groups is 140mph (requiring at least [email protected] with 3.90's, 23.8" tires, and getrag). Want to attain the highest trap speed possible under 140mph... but still average at the chosen target speed for the 90 mile course... all without dropping 30mph under the target (disqualification).

Chances I can do this and still place?
You won't need as much hp as you think to run 140 mph in a GT. Aerodynamics are the key. A stock euro-spec GT with a 90 hp engine will run 117 mph. I got my Ascona (a veritable brick) to 137 mph with 3.44's, no overdrive, 22.68" tires, and 139 hp. A GT would've gone faster for sure with the same engine. I've had a few Mantas over 140 mph with 140-145 hp engines (takes a while). Keep the car low, add an airdam to the front, and keep the tire width moderate and you'll do alright. If you have the 'normal' Getrag 240 it'll have a .805 overdrive, giving you a 3.1395 final drive. Some of the 'Carlton' Getrags had a .87 OD, but they're not too common. If you need more high rpm power, send me your intake manifold, we'll make it flow....I also have a reworked 38 DGAS kicking around with bigger venturis....

Bob

·
Opeler
1,131 Posts
Hey propel, you got a co driver yet? If not I will volunteer. I miss my GT and would have entered it if I still had it. The GT that has been going there, if it is the same one did this in Sept. 2003

Car #
Driver
Navigator
Year
Car Make
Car Model
Target Speed
Average Speed
Variance from Target (MPH)
Variance from Target (Time)
High Trap

White, Barlow
Buick
Opel GT
00:54.4623

If you do enter make sure to post some pics of the expierence. Oh, and here is a link to the web page if you don't have it already http://www.silverstateclassic.com/

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Gem of a car . . .

krabysniper said:
Hey propel, you got a co driver yet? If not I will volunteer. I miss my GT and would have entered it if I still had it. The GT that has been going there, if it is the same one did this in Sept. 2003

Car #
Driver
Navigator
Year
Car Make
Car Model
Target Speed
Average Speed
Variance from Target (MPH)
Variance from Target (Time)
High Trap

White, Barlow - 1972
Opal
GT
00:54.4623

If you do enter make sure to post some pics of the expierence. Oh, and here is a link to the web page if you don't have it already http://www.silverstateclassic.com/
Nice GEM of a car you have there! ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
BQS4 said:
AHHHHH, the "Otto-spell check" program is working properly....LOL
Just turned it on! :D

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
Hey propel, you got a co driver yet? If not I will volunteer.
I'll let you know... especially if my buddy chickens out on me! :D

I'm still planning on running this event and have been doing some car preparations, though I have not officially registered yet. Still hoping to get TGSI roller rockers in time beforehand. I also want to install my dual sidedrafts and an oil cooler. Rollbar is installed by bolt-in right now, but I still need to take it somewhere for custom welding. I have a video cam mount on my rollbar, too, so I'll be sure to capture the experience and share with all. Hopefully, I won't DNF 'cause that would be embarrassing to have on tape... though it's a possibility considering I'm a rookie. Haven't worked the sponsorship angle yet.

Bob had offered to lend me his Brantz timer (Thanks, Bob! In case you're lurking), but these gizmos seem so cool that I will probably buy one to install permanently.

Yes, it seems that Barlow's white Opel has consistently placed in the top of the 95mph class over the years. Pretty neat.

·
Opeler
1,131 Posts
It's really to bad you live way out there, I am a welder by trade and used to work for a place that built race cars for drag racing, I would be able to give it a quality weld job if you were closer. Oh well. Hope you find someone to do it, and definatly keep me in mind if he chickens out, would be an excellent excuse to take a trip to nevada on the GS750 in my garage. :)

·
Super Moderator
14,151 Posts
Hey Walter, how's the progress on the GT prep for the Silver State Classic coming along? I'd love to come out and see you run the event, let us know when you're planning on running. I realize they run numerous times per year.

Bob

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
September?

After a couple setbacks, I fell behind in my plan to enter this past May 16th Silver State Classic event. I knew I was running out of preparation time for my car and did not want to unnecessarily rush things. (Even though I kept thinking, "For petesake, RallyBob can fabricate a whole turbo system from scratch in a fraction of this time!" :eek: ) But as you mentioned, they do sponsor these events several times per year, and now I'm hoping for the fall run (bad thing is that the weather could be hotter then).

Two of my friends came out from MA early last month, and we "fielded" two Opels in the Alpine 500. Unfortunately, both cars ended up bruised from the adventure. But on the bright side, this pseudo-shakedown exposed some areas on my SSC project car that will require more attention.

Very hot oil temps are still an issue with sustained high rpms; hence, the immediate need for an oil cooler . My throttle linkage needs to be beefier (the single Magard cable failed on me); so I'm upgrading to twin Lokar ones. I definitely need to fine tune the engine timing and setup of my dcoes (I have a large assortment of jets now and just need more seat time). Will be getting some 5-point harness bucket seats from England (my stock seats with 4-pts. aren't cutting it). Still need to install a removeable front airdam, address a couple safety issues, and lots more stuff to do that I can't recall right now.

Basically, I'd like to really go through this car in a dedicated fashion to make it as ready as possible... shake it down from all the little crud that might go wrong. (During the Alpine, I had a lower alternator mount bolt vibrate all the way out from the block... thought I'd snapped a motor mount.)

But I'd be honored, Bob, if you came to watch! And I'll definitely keep everyone apprised of the progress and launch date. From what I understand, anyone can volunteer to work the "track", and I think this might be the only way to participate as a spectator (unless you're with the press) since participants are limited to just the driver and co-driver.

(BTW, Barlow White in his '72 Opel GT came in fourth this year in the 95mph class. His average speed was 93.4825.)

·
Super Moderator
14,151 Posts
Walter, make sure you invest in the best oil cooler you can afford since Opels are kinda tough on oil. Something along the lines of a Setrab or Mocal, as cheap coolers often don't do the job well, even the larger ones. I'd target temps no higher than 240-250 degrees. Also, use 10AN (5/8") fluid lines rather than 8AN (1/2") to keep up the volume within the system. Don't want to starve the engine at those speeds.

I am seriously interested in attending the event when you run. I could help you 'crew' if necessary, and I even have a small diameter 'lipstick' video camera which could be externally mounted (bumper view is cool). I have a small 12v video recorder which uses full size tapes too, and a high-gain audio microphone for in-car comments and cool engine noises....

I admit that while I am intrigued to just stand by and watch you compete I am also wanting to do a bit of 'recce' for when the Land Speed GT project is done. Whatever will I do with it once I've run Bonneville and it's just taking up space in my garage? With no traction restraints (salt) it should run 175-180 flat out, so it could be fun.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
14,151 Posts
Walter, any updates on your Silver State Classic preparation? I'm really curious to see how well you do in this event...

Bob

1 - 20 of 24 Posts