Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have this screeching problem, when i rev the engine... come to find out the top alternater bracket is loose where it connects to the engine block. i couldnt see anything to tighten... it looked like there was a thin washer and that was it.. could be wrong, its really cold and didnt feel like messing with it to much, but let me know how to tighten that bracket.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
You probably lost a bolt that holds the arm in place Billy, should be a threaded hole there somewhere, the arm attaches to. HTH.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is still got the bolt in it, but the head on the bolt looks like a washer and looks flat.. how would i tighten that?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
A couple of things come to mind, an allen head or recessed head fastner, like the infamous head bolts or the head of the bolt has sheared off and all that's left is the stud and washer, You need to look real close at it. HTH.

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
It might look something like the photo below. This is a later model OEM bolt from OGTS. The top alternator bolt shown is a recessed allen head bolt, which sits inside a washer, which is turn sits inside a rubber washer. Original versions (which I don't have a photo handy) uses a hex-shaped washer that has an integral nut, which in turn sandwiches a pair of rubber washers on either side of the bracket. So it might just be the washer/nut is loose, or the rubber washers have deteriorated. New top bolt kits are available from OGTS.

It might also be a worn out hole in the timing chain case. When the top bolt gets loose, and especially when the bottom bracket bolts are loose against the block and chain case, the top hole in the chain case gets oval-ed, which in turn causes the alternator to get out of alignment. I was able to install a sleeve on mine to repair it, but often the casting around top hole actually breaks, so either an aluminum welding job is required, or a new chain case (the big aluminum front piece that also holds the distributor.

HTH

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it looks like that bolt in the picture... and the bracket is loose, so will it fix it if i pull the alternater tight and then tighten that bolt?

·
583 Posts
Tightening alternator.

Take your time, tighten the belt enough to stop the squeal. I would replace the alternator belt at the same time. It takes about 5 minutes. Get some one to help you and don't tighten a new belt too tight either.

The amount of "give", i.e. the amount the belt moves when you press on it in the center with your finger should be about 1/2-3/4 inch with a used belt and about 1/2 inch on a new belt.

Tightening the belt too tight will cause increased pressure on the water pump bearing and wear that out fast.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
Willy_g77 said:
it looks like that bolt in the picture... and the bracket is loose, so will it fix it if i pull the alternator tight and then tighten that bolt?
Just make sure that the bottom alternator bracket is REALLY tight to the block (back bolt), and "pretty" tight to the chain case (front bolt, it's threaded into the aluminum casting, so go gentle). If it is not tight, then the alternator can get a bit out of alignment, which will wear out the alternator bearings and water pump prematurely, and also cause the lower bracket to wear into the chain case unevenly (ask me how I know THAT!)

Then try tightening the belt,as described above, by loosening the lower alternator pivot bolt and top adjusting bolt a bit; use a big screwdriver or small pry bar to get a bit of leverage between the alternator and block, and then tighten up the top bolt to hold it in place, and make sure the pivot bolt is tight too (keeps the fan belt from getting loose again)

HTH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts