Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone read any articles or actually converted their GT to run on any other fuel than gasoline? I have been curious about converting mine to Natural Gas and maybe getting some kick back from the State of California!

Some of you guys seem very knowledgable on the mechanics of engine operation, which I am not. Do you think it is plasible, probable or ridiculous?

·
Super Moderator
14,062 Posts
Anything is possible. A number of GT's were converted into electric cars in the early '70's, and I have heard of diesel conversions and a propane conversion in California. Personally though, the thought of a large pressurized cannister of flammable gas, be it propane or natural gas, un-nerves me in a car the size of a GT.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
6,020 Posts
Alternative Fuels

Other than having a potential missile located behind your head (YIKES!), there is another issue, specifically with propane or CNG (Compressed Natural Gas). Performance. Simply, unless an engine is specifically designed (or EXTENSIVELY modified) to operate on these fuels, the power output will be significantly reduced. Without increasing compression ratios and fuel input, and/or turbocharging, simply converting an automotive engine to propane or CNG will not provide as much power as gasoline due to the lower specific heat of these fuels. While this was common in the eighties for trucks, the larger displacement engines masked some of the power reduction.

As another example, large industrial engines (Caterpiller, Waukesha, Cummings, etc) are often available as either diesel-fueled or as natural gas-fueled (typically for the oilpatch as gas compressors). But the conversion to NG is usually obtained by maintaining a high compression ratio (which NG can handle MUCH better than gasoline) as well as the obvious spark ignition system.

Finally, there is the issue of fuel tank weight, which is less significant in a 5000 pound pickup truck than a tiny GT, not to mention driving range. Much lower heat content (especially with CNG and the VERY heavy tank per unit fuel volume) equates to a much reduced range. Kind of explains why propane and CNG vehicles require government subsidies to even get a miniscule use.

JMTCW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.