Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Opeler
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any alternative parts for the tie rods on the GT?

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Why?

Are you looking for an improvement?

There is none.

Or are your too cheap to contribute to the "Keep Gil in bisiness fund?"

Just buy them from OGTS, the best damn Opel Parts Biz in the US.

As long as he is in business, we can keep our Opels running.

If tight asses try to save a dime and he goes out of business, we are all screwed, and I am selling My GT first before the prices drop.

Sheeeeeeeeesh.

·
Opeler
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why?

Are you looking for an improvement?

There is none.

Or are your too cheap to contribute to the "Keep Gil in bisiness fund?"

Just buy them from OGTS, the best damn Opel Parts Biz in the US.

As long as he is in business, we can keep our Opels running.

If tight asses try to save a dime and he goes out of business, we are all screwed, and I am selling My GT first before the prices drop.

Sheeeeeeeeesh.
Before you pass judgement lowkey and make posts like this you should give a person the benefit of the doubt. I've been supporting Gil since the 90s so thanks for your input.

I am asking for tie rods that could be used that are stronger and more durable than originals. I have replaced my tie rods on both my GTs at least a couple times each and seems they fail and develop slop way sooner than equivalents on my late model cars. So again, I'm asking for alternative solutions for the GT tie rods. If there are no such parts then stock parts it will be.

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Before you pass judgement lowkey and make posts like this you should give a person the benefit of the doubt. I've been supporting Gil since the 90s so thanks for your input.

I am asking for tie rods that could be used that are stronger and more durable than originals. I have replaced my tie rods on both my GTs at least a couple times each and seems they fail and develop slop way sooner than equivalents on my late model cars. So again, I'm asking for alternative solutions for the GT tie rods. If there are no such parts then stock parts it will be.
My Bad, I apologize.

I can be a rude bastard at times, and I have been thrown out once or twice.

At Bars, weddings, quinceraras, and strip clubs.

They may have been right, whatever.

If your tie rod ends are failing, there must be a reason. Probably too much weight.

Im a kinda authority on parts, and there must be a reason.

But speaking as an authority on parts. Tie rod ends are a kinda specific, thing, and your kinda stuck.

They usually fit only ONE car.

But if you find an alternative.

Let Us Know.

And again, I apologize if I come across as a know it all dick.

I'm not like that in person, but on the forums, I can see why some folks think I'm an asshole.

I'm not, really, just ask my cat.

·
Opeler
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No worries. Yes I was looking for "alternative" parts. Mainly a beefier outer joint. The ones I have used in the past did not have grease fittings and perhaps they fail sooner if not greased on a regular basis. I've heard of outers with grease fittings but have not found a source.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,435 Posts
My Bad, I apologize.

I can be a rude bastard at times
No comment ;)

If your tie rod ends are failing, there must be a reason. Probably too much weight.
OR power.. or both.. he does have a V6 convertible Opel GT

And again, I apologize if I come across as a know it all dick.

I'm not like that in person, but on the forums, I can see why some folks think I'm an asshole.

I'm not, really, just ask my cat.
:haha:

Cat said "no comment", ask the dog.. ;)

·
Opeler
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually this has been on my 70 GT which is virtually stock. Looking for my third set of tie rods now since I've owned the car. I'll admit the ones on the car when I bought it in the late 90s where who knows how old and abused but I replaced with new at that time. Probably less than 10k miles on the car in the last 18 years as it sat for probably 10 years.

So is there a version of the outer tie rod with a grease fitting...or should one regularly pull the boot and re-grease?

·
7,435 Posts
Actually this has been on my 70 GT which is virtually stock. Looking for my third set of tie rods now since I've owned the car. I'll admit the ones on the car when I bought it in the late 90s where who knows how old and abused but I replaced with new at that time. Probably less than 10k miles on the car in the last 18 years as it sat for probably 10 years.

So is there a version of the outer tie rod with a grease fitting...or should one regularly pull the boot and re-grease?
Actually you can buy grease fittings and drill the bottom and fit with the new fitting.

That said..

I would think you would want to pull the boot. and after drilling flush the thing with brake clean to get out all the old grease and any drill shavings through the new hole.

Then install a new boot and grease it up.

·
7,435 Posts
Yea I guess a Magnet would work too.. but if your a little retentive.. ( like say an air force officer ) .. maybe both magnet AND brake clean.. :)

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Back in the day...
I used magnets to catch the chips when balancing crankshafts.

First mount the mags...then drill baby drill.

·
Opeler
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm confused though Charles. Wouldn't you want the fitting to be on the top of the tie rod, not the boot side? Don't see where you would drill and place a fitting on the boot side. Looking at that youtube video was exactly what I was thinking but I'm guessing there are still metal shavings inside despite the magnet.

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
FWIW, I remember when I started out on Opels in 1984, one of the owners of C & R (Carl) told me he tried drilling his tie rod ends for grease fittings, but everything wore out twice as fast as a result. Could've been from metal chips, who knows?

As far as finding tie rods from other cars, I'm sure the easy part is finding the correct thread pitch...14 x 1.5 mm IIRC. I once adapted a set of Lexus outer tie rod ends to one of my cars, because with sticky tires and track use I was killing a set of stock Opel outer tie rods per year. I figured a set of tie rods designed for a 4000 lb car and modern radials would be stronger, and they were.

Trouble is, a GT has a tiny tapered fitting. The angle, at 7 degrees, is common enough. But the diameter is small. So, that said, you could probably find something that threads into your inner tie rods, but you'd have to enlarge the tapered holes in the steering arms to fit them. I do the same thing with GT spindles when I put in the taller Chrysler lower ball joints...the taper is the same, but the diameter is too small.

Oh, and FWIW, stay away from Quinton-Hazel suspension parts. They wear out about 4 times faster than the German stuff does.

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
I'm thinking something like this could be made to work. This is from a Cadillac Catera (Opel Omega). It has the correct 14 x 1.5 pitch threads. More Information for MOOG ES80559

Undoubtedly the pin end is larger diameter and has a resultingly larger ball and socket to deal with that car's greater weight.

Just a thought. I haven't tried this one personally.

Reactions: GoinManta

·
Opeler
2,995 Posts
RallyBob's answer is better than mine, but AutoZone has lifetime warranty on tie rods.
At least you will recover parts cost back, but not labor and alignment.

Moog from RockAuto has limited warranty, but might have to ship somewhere.
AutoZone, you can take warranty parts to store.

MOOG Warranty Information
Limited lifetime (except tools & Omega power steering products).
Hub assemblies and R-Series - 36 months. Steering dampers - 12 months.

·
Opeler
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Bob, great information and I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's had many worn out tie rods. I would agree that any metal shavings left from drilling would quickly wear out the ball and sockets. I don't really have the capability to machine out the spindle but I could certainly take them someplace. The Moog ES80559 looks like a close fit from the picture but it also does not have a grease fitting. Might not be needed if this link is bigger than the GT's. I will see if a local store has one and do a comparison.

·
Opeler
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm thinking something like this could be made to work. This is from a Cadillac Catera (Opel Omega). It has the correct 14 x 1.5 pitch threads. More Information for MOOG ES80559

Undoubtedly the pin end is larger diameter and has a resultingly larger ball and socket to deal with that car's greater weight.

Just a thought. I haven't tried this one personally.
I had a chance to get a Moog ES80559 from a local shop and tried it out. Unfortunately the tapered stud is too big. The taper I'm sure is still 7 degrees but about 020 too big so it would only fit into the steering arm about an 1/8 inch. Oh well.....Not worth buying a reamer and opening them up more.

·
Opeler
719 Posts
You may check with Tod @ opels unlimited. I almost bought a pair of inner tie rod ends from him at Carlisle this year but my wallet was a little dry. They looked really beefy and the price was decent to.

Just a thought

David

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
I had a chance to get a Moog ES80559 from a local shop and tried it out. Unfortunately the tapered stud is too big. The taper I'm sure is still 7 degrees but about 020 too big so it would only fit into the steering arm about an 1/8 inch. Oh well.....Not worth buying a reamer and opening them up more.
Well, that's exactly how you get a stronger part...make it larger! Once reamed to size you'd be good to go.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts