Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I did a forum search but was unsuccessful in finding an answer. I have just inherited a 70 GT that my father and I worked on when I was a kid. I am wanting to add a stereo to it at some point. Ours didn't have factory radio at all when we got it. If I remember correctly from what my father had told me, I would need to upgrade the alternator in order to power a stereo. I am looking to power an in-dash, and 4 speakers. I don't plan to power and amp or subs. Would the bosch alternator from OGTS be the only necessary replacement to facilitate this as far as power is concerned? (Of course I will need to run the appropriate wires for the stereo). I will have the vehicle in my possession in about a week and am trying to gather as many parts as I can before it arrives. Thanks for any info you might have.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,405 Posts
If a basic stereo is all that you would be running, the factory alternator would support it. Having said that, upgrading the alternator to at least 65 amps is one of the first mods that you should do, either with the Bosch unit or the GM 105 amp upgrade. Remember, the original alternator is old and tired (like many of its owners).:veryhappy

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
If a basic stereo is all that you would be running, the factory alternator would support it.
Yep what Mel said.

When you start adding more power drainers..aka power windows,rear window defroster,A-C,
EFI,electric pump...

You might see a discharge @ idle speed.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I concur with Mel about the GM 105 amp internally regulated alternator. You can eliminate the voltage regulator unit. Another future upgrade you may want is the smaller, stronger starter available at OGTS. Although better it requires higher voltage so why not just upgrade once. Small rewiring required for the GM unit. Info should be on the site here somewhere. Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much, everyone. you have all been very helpful. I will be making the upgrade soon, after doing my homework on the two options. I am interested in doing the starter as well. I am looking to make this beauty as reliable as possible.:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
FawkesOpel89 you might want to take a look at this one. I put this in the GT and it is very small compared to other alternators of the same amps. I have been very happy with mine. You need to get a mounting kit to get it in the right postition and line it up with the pulleys. I can get you that link too if you want it. The alternator is a one wire, so you can clean up all the voltage regulator wiring. Self exciting, internally regulated, and so on. With a one year warranty too. The chrome helped me make a decision.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BP0Y6LI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bob

·
Senior Contributor
5,042 Posts
FawkesOpel89 you might want to take a look at this one. I put this in the GT and it is very small compared to other alternators of the same amps. I have been very happy with mine. You need ot get a mounting kit to get it in the right postition and line it up with the pulleys. I can get you that link too if you want it. The alternator is a one wire, so you can clean up all the voltage regulator wiring. Self exciting, internally regulated, and so on. With a one year warranty too. The chrome helped me make a decision.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BP0Y6LI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bob
Looks like you paid too much. check this one

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Looks like you paid too much. check this one
Jeff: Bought mine two years ago, didn't pay the price you see on my link. I probably would have paid the current price if I still needed it, It is really small compared to the same alternator that produces 70 amps. The ebay alternator looks the same, the only thing I see different is the one year warranty on ebay costs 17 dollars. I had to pay for shipping and tax, so I guess I did pay more for mine. Didn't think of looking on ebay. Oh well, I always knew that my GT was a black hole sucking my checking account dry.

Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FawkesOpel89 you might want to take a look at this one. I put this in the GT and it is very small compared to other alternators of the same amps. I have been very happy with mine. You need to get a mounting kit to get it in the right postition and line it up with the pulleys. I can get you that link too if you want it. The alternator is a one wire, so you can clean up all the voltage regulator wiring. Self exciting, internally regulated, and so on. With a one year warranty too. The chrome helped me make a decision.

Bob

Oooooo.....that's pretty :veryhappy Thanks for the link! how much is the mounting bracket?

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Oooooo.....that's pretty :veryhappy Thanks for the link! how much is the mounting bracket?
I got mine on Amazon, pretty pricy $41.00. I went to get the link, but apparently Amazon doesn't sell that one any more. This is the name:

Tractor Generator Alternator For Conversion Bracket A200
Sold by: DB ELECTRICAL STARTER-ALTERNATOR

You could probably find it online, or ebay. There are probably many that will work, I got this one because it didn't want it to break down on me. It is 1/4 inch steel and you can put it together many different ways to get belts lined up and a secure mount to the engine. I am sure others can tell you what they used, and I am sure they will work too.

Bob

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
There's also a pretty easy mod that you can do using the factory Opel lower mount (the steel one is preferred over the aluminum for this mod). You need to purchase an upper bracket but the mod is really easy.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
There's also a pretty easy mod that you can do using the factory Opel lower mount (the steel one is preferred over the aluminum for this mod). You need to purchase an upper bracket but the mod is really easy.
Probably for a whole lot less than the one I used.

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts